I would ust like to apologize for the other day and pony and I have already apologized to each other . I am on Latuda but it is making me moody and mean. But its the only thing that has even remotely helped my bi polar 2.
As Im typing this the 2 young silkies are crowing. I have 2 boys and 2 girls so I will have to rehome 1 unfotunately.
Anyone want a little male silkie rooster.lol

I'm posting also today for some educated, or / and fun guesses on our 19 days old chicks. I fear we may have striked a @RebeccaBoyd - I'm guessing out of six, only one is a pullet for sure šŸ˜Æ. Any input would be appreciated! (We can re-home one or two roos, but not five or six.)

Number 1 and 2 have been screaming cockerels since they were four days old. Number 4 is my pullet ; number 5 I think could be as wellšŸ¤ž. I'm on the fence about number 3 and 6. What would you say ?

NumĆ©ro 1. I bump chest, have big feet, never do what mum says and hang out with nĀ°2 all the time : 90% boy.
View attachment 3532175
View attachment 3532171
Number 2 : big feet, big comb, always on his own or with nĀ°1. 100% cockerel.
View attachment 3532172View attachment 3532174
Number 3 : ratty tail and shredded feather but big comb and big in size. 60%male.
View attachment 3532167
View attachment 3532166
Number 4 : tiny, delicate, no comb, always with mum. 90% pullet.
View attachment 3532173
Number 5 : small in size, but big feet and comb. 55%male.
View attachment 3532170
View attachment 3532165
Number 6 : big chick, smaller feet, attitude. 60% cockerel!
View attachment 3532169
View attachment 3532168
And a bonus question. This is the daddy of four of the chicks, he belongs to an elderly neighbour. What kind of rooster do you think it is ?
View attachment 3532212
Thank you everyone, and wishing you all a pleasant Wednesday.
An update on LĆ©a's chicks : yesterday three of them popped wattles, chick 1,2, and 3. Interestingly those only show in one side of their face ! So be sure to check both sides before sighing with relief . I will be happy if no more wattles appear, rehoming three, though unlikely, may turn out to be possible, but four or five definitely not.

Wattles !
Chick nĀ°1
IMG_20230610_115343.jpg

Second chick/ looking to the right
IMG_20230609_134934.jpg

Chick nĀ°3
IMG_20230609_123145.jpg

The worrisome part about the climbing is those are about 100lb hay bales. Falling does not scare me. Falling and having one of those bales land on top of me, that scares me.
Last year a very well known hay seller here died like this. He was crushed under a bale that fell on him, his son found him hours later. He had been selling hay to everyone around for 35 years so it had quite an impact both emotionally and economically.
Roosting question:
At what age do they start doing this with a Broody mama generally?

I ask because this morning when I went out to open the pop door and do a wellness check as I do every morning all the chicks (5 weeks old as of today) were up on the roosts! I was quite surprised as I have never witnessed them even step a single toe onto the ladder to go up let alone up all the way up on the roosts.

Tonight I went out to close up and watched Brownie go up with the rest of the bigs but the chicks wouldnā€™t even try they just headed into the tote and peeped louder and louder till Brownie (I swear she audibly sighed) hopped down and went into the tote with them and quieted down immediately.

So, should I remove the tote to try and break the habit? Clearly they can go up and roost but donā€™t want to for some reason maybe they are scared to because of the Bigs? Or should I leave it be for another few weeks?
This is exactly the normal process,I think. She teaches them to roost but they won't want to change for quite some time.
Last year Chipie's hatch began roosting in a nest in the coop at three weeks, and it took them ages to get out of it, when they were ten weeks and just couldn't fit all in there anymore !

A leghorn update for @BY Bob :
We have an Aurora in the making. Alba (comb flopping to the left) is terrorizing the three other pullets she arrived with. She has decided Gaston is hers and throws off the roost any of the three who comes near. She's still afraid of Merle who also roosts next to Gaston but I expect this won't last long. He seems both flattered and a bit overwhelmed by this attention !
And, two days ago I saw four adult leghorns from the same place I got them, they are 18 months old, and I can confirm they definitely grow more bulky. They don't have that elegant slim butt anymore, and look less like game and more like layers, if that makes sense.

Also, we have had lots of rain, and I have to say they don't stay gleaming white like their american leghorns cousins šŸ˜Š they are quite muddy, though maybe not as much as some of the other chickens !

Alba the terror, comb to the left
IMG_20230609_163625.jpg

Nieva, comb to the right.
IMG_20230610_094321.jpg

An update on LĆ©a's chicks : yesterday three of them popped wattles, chick 1,2, and 3. Interestingly those only show in one side of their face ! So be sure to check both sides before sighing with relief . I will be happy if no more wattles appear, rehoming three, though unlikely, may turn out to be possible, but four or five definitely not.

Wattles !
Chick nĀ°1
View attachment 3536214

View attachment 3536215

Chick nĀ°3
View attachment 3536216

Last year a very well known hay seller here died like this. He was crushed under a bale that fell on him, his son found him hours later. He had been selling hay to everyone around for 35 years so it had quite an impact both emotionally and economically.

This is exactly the normal process,I think. She teaches them to roost but they won't want to change for quite some time.
Last year Chipie's hatch began roosting in a nest in the coop at three weeks, and it took them ages to get out of it, when they were ten weeks and just couldn't fit all in there anymore !

We have an Aurora in the making. Alba (comb flopping to the left) is terrorizing the three other pullets she arrived with. She has decided Gaston is hers and throws off the roost any of the three who comes near. She's still afraid of Merle who also roosts next to Gaston but I expect this won't last long. He seems both flattered and a bit overwhelmed by this attention !
And, two days ago I saw four adult leghorns from the same place I got them, they are 18 months old, and I can confirm they definitely grow more bulky. They don't have that elegant slim butt anymore, and look less like game and more like layers, if that makes sense.

Also, we have had lots of rain, and I have to say they don't stay gleaming white like their american leghorns cousins šŸ˜Š they are quite muddy, though maybe not as much as some of the other chickens !

View attachment 3536217
View attachment 3536218
I live on this sight to see all the chicken photos.

Wattles !
Chick nĀ°1
View attachment 3536214

View attachment 3536215

Chick nĀ°3
View attachment 3536216

View attachment 3536217
View attachment 3536218
Those leghorns are lovely ā¤ļø There is something about a lovely white hen with a floppy comb šŸ’• just lovely.

I would ust like to apologize for the other day and pony and I have already apologized to each other . I am on Latuda but it is making me moody and mean. But its the only thing that has even remotely helped my bi polar 2.
As Im typing this the 2 young silkies are crowing. I have 2 boys and 2 girls so I will have to rehome 1 unfotunately.
Anyone want a little male silkie rooster.lol
How old are those silkies now?

Caturday: I will refrain from posting the pic as I haven't had coffee yet and can't remember how to put it behind a spoiler. Castor caught a young rabbit this week. Haven't seen rabbits around since shortly after we moved in (well before we got him). Did see one a couple of months ago, starting to shed its winter white. Haven't seen that one, so figuring that is mama and she's with the rest.

Caturday: I will refrain from posting the pic as I haven't had coffee yet and can't remember how to put it behind a spoiler. Castor caught a young rabbit this week. Haven't seen rabbits around since shortly after we moved in (well before we got him). Did see one a couple of months ago, starting to shed its winter white. Haven't seen that one, so figuring that is mama and she's with the rest.

Yesterday Mum called me up to the house to ā€˜rescueā€™ a chipmunk - Missy had to go back in the house then.

I rescued the back half of the chipmunk (I am assuming the front half is now inside Missy), and threw it away. Very surprised she caught one as they are really fast and wily.

And then 04:30 this morning Missy woke me with her gagging like she was throwing up, I can move really fast at times! Never did find any up-chuck so not sure what that was about.

Caaattttttts!

She is waiting for me to let her outā€¦ time to get my derriĆØre in gear!
image.jpg

Wattles !
Chick nĀ°1
View attachment 3536214

View attachment 3536215

Chick nĀ°3
View attachment 3536216

View attachment 3536217
View attachment 3536218
Thank you for sharing your experience with me, its good to know what I am seeing is completely normal and to be expected. I will leave Brownie to it and keep the tote eight where it is. I think you and other folks whos so kindly answered my question are absolutely right, either Brownie will say enough is enough or they will outgrow the space and will have to brave the roosts.

The leghorns are gorgeous and I think yours already look just a bit brooder then what we have here. Fascinating to see the differences.

Back
Top Bottom