Caught up again, at least for today.
Those of you that use shavings in your coop, do you use the small or large flake? Thinking about trying shavings for the winter instead of chopped straw.
20230328_173111_HDR~2.jpg

Thanks. Butters had at least something in her crop this evening before roosting. She's only lost an ounce of weight since Sept 6th, and I've not tube-fed her, so that's good I think!
I think that is very good news!
Good Morning fluffy butts and all.
I have a thought

I now have two roosters, Ijak and Stormfeather.
View attachment 3636932View attachment 3636933
When Stormfeather grows up, I'm worried that they might fight. Currently I only have 11 hens, and Ijak has been known to handle up to 20 hens on his own. I just hope that they don't fight. Ijak has been a lovely roo in the 4 years that I have had him. He once had a very agreesive brother and they used to live together in peace until they came to my farm with the hens. They turned on each other. Ijak's brother was a formidable fighter and there were screeches and flaps and I had to separate them. Ijak lost one of his spurs. His brother had to go into the soup pot. I just don't want anything bad to any of these two as Stormfeather grows up.
pretty boys!

I had a Bishops Conference meeting tonight, but I can’t attend it. My rooster is not feeling very good this afternoon. I pulled him away from his ladies to rest and eat. He’s inside now with me. Problem is, he’s an older roo, and he’s trying to keep up with those hens that are less than two years old. It wears him down. No sooner did I bring him in, he laid down and closed his eyes. I knew that he was tired 🥱. When he feels like eating something, I made baked ziti with broccoli for dinner for both of us.
I had baked ziti today! We must be birds of a feather

:( We still have those stick tight poultry fleas. I found some behind Dakota’s ears.
Disgusting 🤮. I’m going to have to treat every single bird with Vaseline/Permethrin mixture, as they get very uncomfortable when they have fleas. (Egg production drops off too) :rant:mad: I hate those things, those putrid bugs!
Yuck! Poor Dakota!

Back
Top Bottom