Hey everyone, I know it has been posted before but for the life of me I cannot find it, nor have the energy to look for it. This is regarding worming. I believe I have saw that ivermectin is safe for chickens right? If so I would love to know how to calculate the dose and how many days egg need to be discarded from it. Right now is the perfect time to worm the flock. The majority are molting so egg production is down to 7 on a good day. I have never officially wormed them before but I have ivermectin on hand now as instead of buying a dose of wormer for the horses we ended up buying a whole bottle this time around.
This is a great article on ivermectin use:

https://bitchinchickens.com/2019/04/29/ivermectin-for-parasite-control/

For oral use I just used that dosing also (topical application).

You will need an insulin syringe that is a .5ml syringe so that you can dose properly. I gave Red 0.04ml of the ivermectin I have here, it is 10mg/ml strength. She is a good sized bird, I think close to 6lb.

Just check the strength on the bottle some is 5mg/ml and some 10mg/ml.

The key is the smaller sized syringe so you can dose for the 0.04ml for an average size bird, silkies get 0.02ml.

You will need an insulin syringe that is a .5ml syringe so that you can dose properly. I gave Red 0.04ml of the ivermectin I have here, it is 10mg/ml strength. She is a good sized bird, I think close to 6lb.

The key is the smaller sized syringe so you can dose for the 0.04ml for an average size bird, silkies get 0.02ml.
I thought you could give ivermectin on the skin?

Hey everyone, I know it has been posted before but for the life of me I cannot find it, nor have the energy to look for it. This is regarding worming. I believe I have saw that ivermectin is safe for chickens right? If so I would love to know how to calculate the dose and how many days egg need to be discarded from it. Right now is the perfect time to worm the flock. The majority are molting so egg production is down to 7 on a good day. I have never officially wormed them before but I have ivermectin on hand now as instead of buying a dose of wormer for the horses we ended up buying a whole bottle this time around.
I was also thinking of worming my older non laying ladies and molters.

Oh and there is no official withdrawal period as it’s not a product approved for poultry, but I did 2 weeks with my sales eggs.

For my personal use I just ate them straight up no waiting, my cousin also - I figured the minuscule amt is hardly worth worrying about, and could like do with some worming myself 😆

I thought you could give ivermectin on the skin?
Yes they topical brand you can. If it doesn’t say topical then it will not be absorbed by the skin.

When it first came out way back when I used to give it via injection to the horses. But it’s not done that way anymore. It’s an oral anthelmintic now for horses. People too.

Cattle and goats, sheep it’s a topical treatment.

Thank you for this. I will go read my bottle later. The thought of catching momma hen to does her though has my eye twitching.

Who's ready for fall?
I am.
IMG_0109.JPG

Here's the funny thing you have all been waiting for.
I really hope this thread wins because this is a very funny thread and here's who I'd like to thank:
Release the Kellies!
Looks like the two Kellies want to go outside.
IMG_0114.JPG

Yes, you deserve all the freedom in the world.
IMG_0115.JPG

And there they go.
IMG_0116.JPG

Grandma does not want to be a Kelly.
IMG_0113.JPG

At least she got out. Does she still deserve the Kelly title?
IMG_0117.JPG

Last edited:
I don’t know the dosage, sorry, I would be searching BYC for it.

Can you tell me how you’re thinking of worming if there’s nobody ill with an overload of worms? Or is there somebody ill? I don’t mean to start a fight, and on one hand I sort of understand the theory of worming on some schedule, in that it is done as a precautionary measure. I’ve noticed with small flock owners, horse folks want to do it, I assume because of the experience with horses? Is the theory with chickens that it reduces the available cysts on the ground?

With chickens, I’ve heard (reiterated by the vets Butters and Popcorn saw), they can carry a low load of worms all the time, without ever an overload and illness developing. That it’s usually some circumstance of stress or other that allows the worm fauna to get out of control in an individual bird, and then one would treat. So on this hand it seems like one is cleaning out the gutters on a set schedule even though chickens’ “gutters”may never need cleaning (yes I was working on the coop gutter today). And chickens would likely pick up some worm cysts again as soon as they’re out in the yard, and be back to carrying a low load.

I lean towards not doing it unless someone gets sick, but I know others on here do it periodically.

Back
Top Bottom