I think that is actually the tent we were in and I ate some. I wat wgat is served, despite not cooking chicken for myself.
IMG_5680.jpeg

I don’t know the dosage, sorry, I would be searching BYC for it.

Can you tell me how you’re thinking of worming if there’s nobody ill with an overload of worms? Or is there somebody ill? I don’t mean to start a fight, and on one hand I sort of understand the theory of worming on some schedule, in that it is done as a precautionary measure. I’ve noticed with small flock owners, horse folks want to do it, I assume because of the experience with horses? Is the theory with chickens that it reduces the available cysts on the ground?

With chickens, I’ve heard (reiterated by the vets Butters and Popcorn saw), they can carry a low load of worms all the time, without ever an overload and illness developing. That it’s usually some circumstance of stress or other that allows the worm fauna to get out of control in an individual bird, and then one would treat. So on this hand it seems like one is cleaning out the gutters on a set schedule even though chickens’ “gutters”may never need cleaning (yes I was working on the coop gutter today). And chickens would likely pick up some worm cysts again as soon as they’re out in the yard, and be back to carrying a low load.

I lean towards not doing it unless someone gets sick, but I know others on here do it periodically.
No nobody is ill. Up to this point I have not wormed them. Squirrel started me thinking the whole flock needed to be wormed, but it may be just her. She got off the roost the other day and pooped in front of me. She for sure needs it as her poop had several worms in it :sick . To date that is the first and only poop I have saw with worms. I think now I may just treat her. No need for with holding eggs as she is mid molt and not laying.

Agreed but I am asking also because I wonder if the scheduled practice fits with traditional horse care. Maybe with horses or other farm animals you really do have to do this kind of preventive treatment or they get into big trouble? Whereas others coming to the issue without that background might be more open to not being proactive about it?
@Ponypoor @RebeccaBoyd
My boys follow a strict schedule. Every 6 weeks farrier is out to trim and re shoe. Every 3 months to the day they get wormed. Wormer is also changed up with winter and spring/summer worms. The boys will tell you when you are a few days away from worming them, itchy butts and constant tails scratching. To be honest I never thought they chickens would need it. I assumed they were getting wormed with the horses through secondary exposure. I try not to think what my hens eat when I eat their eggs, but horse poop is a delicacy for them.

Back
Top Bottom