Roosting in the Hut

I do not watch roosting any longer. I have seen too many things that have upset me. They have really mixed it up recently so tonight I recorded roosting in the Cluckle Hut.

I never would have guessed what it saw. When you watch, pay attention to Aurora. It's just amazing.

SHE DOESNT EVEN SLEEP THERE! Yet she still enforces her power. Lady Featherington could not get into the coop. Hattie and Phyllis had to flee from her. Phyllis left the coop to get away.

Aurora is going to rule through terror that is for sure.

Last edited:
You must watch it! And the sequel!
I plan to! Just need time to watch it, was going to watch it tonight but got side tracked with trying to connect a range extender to StarLink - sheesh! I gave up and going to the barn as soon as I catch up here 😊

RE: poor leghorn children

but they sure are friendly little brats 🥰 have to say again those Azurs are nosey friendly little birds - gosh I just love them!! If they never lay another egg I will be fine with that they can just be puppy dogs following me around 😊

My leghorns never sang the egg song. It was very business like with them. Pop an egg out and on your way.
And wonder why they are like that, they scream up a storm before hand but after the egg is done that’s that!!!
That tells you how long she will go before she takes a break.

For example:

Imagine Daylight is 10 hours. It runs from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM

Say Phyllis lays on a 27 hour cycle. She will lay the following times if she starts at 8:00 on the first day (which we will call Monday).

Mon 8:00 AM
Tue 11:00 AM. (27 hours later)
Wed 2:00 PM
Thu 5:00 PM

There will be no egg on Friday as it would come out after dark. So Phyllis will skip Friday and start again around daylight on Saturday. On a 27 hour cycle you would average 6 eggs in 7 days.

Phyllis actually a 3 to 5 egg a week hen. Polish lay pretty well in my experience. She's somewhere over 30 hours in her cycle. As the days get longer in the summer you get more consecutive days of laying.

My Daisy, the greatest hen ever, had something less than a 25 hour laying cycle. She only skipped 5 days her first full calendar year of laying.

A Daisy mug for Monday
View attachment 3731336
My Azurs are like that 😢😢😢
Every morning without fail most days 😟

Love it! Thanks. 🥰
You’re welcome to it 😊

Roosting in the Hut

I do not watch roosting any longer. I have seen too many things that have upset me. They have really mixed it up recently so tonight I recorded roosting in the Cluckle Hut.

I never would have guessed what it saw. When you watch, pay attention to Aurora. It's just amazing.

SHE DOESNT EV WE N SLEEP THERE! Yet she still enforces her power. Lady Featheringtoncould not in the coop. Hattie and Phyllis had to file from her. Phyllis left the coop to get away.

What a brat!

So did she go and finally roost where she should?

Roosting in the Hut

SHE DOESNT EV WE N SLEEP THERE! Yet she still enforces her power. Lady Featheringtoncould not in the coop. Hattie and Phyllis had to file from her. Phyllis left the coop to get away.

Definitely don’t watch roosting. Too upsetting.
I do like how Hattie plops herself down. Just like me into my arm chair after a long day!
That is exactly how Piglet treats Sylvie until Sylvie escapes into the nest box. She is not allowed to roost - even if she is nowhere near Piglet’s spot.

Roosting in the Hut

I feel for you, but frankly my reaction to this is that it actually looks pretty ho-hum and relatively harmless - but I'm comparing it to the roosting situation here, which amounts to the Spuds running the Buckeye gauntlet every evening getting into the coop, and it's not that hunky-dory between the Buckeyes when they roost, either. What you've got going on looks like a routine bed check from this perspective! Aurora comes in like the drill sergeant she is, does a little re-arranging and reminding, then leaves. But everybody expects this and settles right back in.

I'm not clear on your comment, what could Lady F. not do in the coop? I thought it was Lady F. on the upper right roost, next to Glynda. That's not her? Those two don't have to move and stay there the whole time, happy as clams. Hattie was made to move, but she's also acting like this is no big deal, in fact she inspects something up in the ceiling while Aurora patrols, and then gets back in her nest box soon enough. Phyllis comes back in too, soon after Aurora leaves. Seems to me nobody is taking it horribly badly or is even getting pecked hard. I didn't hear any squeals or squawks.

Would you consider putting a thicker layer of straw down for Hattie? She is plopping on to the wood kind of fast and hard (arthritis in her legs/hips, right?) and it looks like she's tipping to one side or the other to accommodate her keel.

I feel for you, but frankly my reaction to this is that it actually looks pretty ho-hum and relatively harmless - but I'm comparing it to the roosting situation here, which amounts to the Spuds running the Buckeye gauntlet every evening getting into the coop, and it's not that hunky-dory between the Buckeyes when they roost, either. What you've got going on looks like a routine bed check from this perspective! Aurora comes in like the drill sergeant she is, does a little re-arranging and reminding, then leaves. But everybody expects this and settles right back in.

I'm not clear on your comment, what could Lady F. not do in the coop? I thought it was Lady F. on the upper right roost, next to Glynda. That's not her? Those two don't have to move and stay there the whole time, happy as clams. Hattie was made to move, but she's also acting like this is no big deal, in fact she inspects something up in the ceiling while Aurora patrols, and then gets back in her nest box soon enough. Phyllis comes back in too, soon after Aurora leaves. Seems to me nobody is taking it horribly badly or is even getting pecked hard. I didn't hear any squeals or squawks.

Would you consider putting a thicker layer of straw down for Hattie? She is plopping on to the wood kind of fast and hard (arthritis in her legs/hips, right?) and it looks like she's tipping to one side or the other to accommodate her keel.
Lady Featherington could not get into the coop because Aurora was blocking the entrance.

It all does seem fairly routine. I just find it frustrating that Aurora won't leave them alone. They are not in her coop. Leave them alone. They had it all worked out. Phyllis even moved over for Glynda to roost with Lady Featherington.

I can put down all the straw I want and they will keep stripping it out of the nest box. They have too much fun digging in it and tossing it all over the coop. Aurora especially.

Back
Top Bottom