Adult eye color between australorps and giants is different. 1 has bay (orangey) and the other has black. Now I have to check Hector's eyes for which is which.
They look a lot like the Murray McMurray chick pics, but sometimes hard to tell real color from photos.
1708820368970.png

Hope all is well! I’ve gotten my grades up, and I’ve been studying very hard, which is why I haven’t been here.

I’ve still not found a home for Gumbo. I’m not happy with him and I’ve been keeping him separate from the others. Multiples times I have see him attack the hens- and not breeding, just straight on attacking them. The girls run away when he comes near them and poor Crystal cowers in front of him when he is near her.

All three of my chicks have started laying eggs! I’ve gotten eight eggs a day twice in a row this week!

Crystal lays darker eggs (I’m still not sure what type of chicken she is.)

Opal lays lighter eggs, but not super light. She’s a Bielefelder for sure! I’ve wanted one for so long and I’ve finally gotten one!

Ruby is just precious. I’ve never had a pure BR, and she is just the sweetest. She lays super light eggs. I think that they are white tinted? If that’s a thing… They are big eggs too!

Bolt and BBQ have bumblefoot… I’m gonna have to treat them tomorrow. I’ve been putting it off for a few days because I don’t want to lose Bolt’s trust.
Super glad your grades are up - good job!

Sorry to hear about your Gumbo, hopefully you can find him a home soon. Keeping him separate is a good idea if he is being naughty.

Can’t wait to see pictures of these lovely eggs!

Well, I’ve been following along ok, mostly keeping up here so far, but haven’t been chatting too much as not much has been happening here on North Beach Farms. Unfortunately that has recently changed. Last weekend a Raccon incursion happened in the pre-existing coop and one of the three hens that was here before we move in was taken off the roost. I’ve started closing the surviving two hens in and letting them out in the mornings as well. I also found out their names “Margaret” and “Maple” from their first owner, who has two kids that are absolutely in love with Mr. Jimmy (my largest goat). I thought I had it handled, but then Wednesday, we had a heavy rain while I was doing a 9 hr with no breaks day working at the abattoir with DH. My now top Rooster got soaked through as usual, and I didn’t think anything of it, he will dry off in the cooler overnight no problems. He was however too wet to fly up to the door, and coloured to blend in when I was closing them in for the night. I believe it was early morning when the raccoon returned. I feel awful for failing him, but Pretty Boy is no longer with us. View attachment 3755587View attachment 3755592View attachment 3755594
These are our most recent pictures of him. I have also now had three separate dog incursions into the field from our neighbours Shepard/husky type dog, and today Arduinna almost got him. He’s a good digger, but not particularly smart. This time at least DH was home so I had help herding my goats into the garden before attempting to catch the dog, and I was also armed with the neighbours cell number and she came and helped collect him. Everyone was a little traumatized, but no one was injured, he’s good with their chickens and goats… it’s just mine are a little more “assertive” to put it mildly. We also have the obligatory not fluffy butt spring moulting happening here, and I’ve updated my egg labels.View attachment 3755607View attachment 3755611
:hugs So sorry for the loss of Pretty Boy and the red hen. You do the best you can and luck plays a role too. I'm sorry. Raccoons and fishers are really tough adversaries to deal with, they don't give you any breaks. Arduinna will attack the dog? And win?

I like your labels a lot. Your name font is very nice yet easy to read, and the hen has a great old-fashioned, full-body look.

Penelope
What is this - lacing?
View attachment 3756323

Misty
Blue? The edges of her feathers seem dark edged
View attachment 3756326View attachment 3756325

Whiskers
Also blue with some dark edges feathers, her head feathers are red mixed.
View attachment 3756327View attachment 3756328View attachment 3756329

Little Grey
Is much lighter with a darker head and neck, and her feathers are more dark edged, would she be lavender?
View attachment 3756333View attachment 3756332
The ones with contrasting edging are laced.

Penelope is partridge marked. With partridge coloring, the main feather color (here black) is on the outside of the feather, the contrasting color forms the next layer, then base then contrasting color again, then usually rest is base color. There are 2 variations on it if I remember correctly. I do not know what it is called when it isn't brown, though - but those are the same patterns as partridge marking.

@rural mouse knows or can find all RE: feather patterning/coloring

Back
Top Bottom