It is based on this recipe from the NYT cooking app. Let me know if it is behind a paywall and I will cut and paste.
Mine differs in the following ways:
- I have never seen a Meyer lemon so I use regular lemons and switch 1-2 out for an orange instead. Sometimes I just use regular lemons throughout - it is plenty sweet enough.
- I don’t use their pie crust recipe - I put it in a Graham cracker crust which goes really well with it.

It is unbelievably indulgent!

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013-meyer-lemon-tart?smid=ck-recipe-iOS-share
Yes, as I thought, a paywall...NYT wants a higher subscription level to get the cooking section.

Thanks for the ideas. I think my decorating skills might stretch to something like that. I will share pics of what I eventually do. Now have to turn my mind to baking lemon curd tart for Easter. It uses a mind-blowing number of eggs in the lemon curd!
That tart sounds amazing. Lemon Curd, after trying homemade curd, has became one of my favorite sweet treats. We make it for our homemade New York Cheese cakes. I do not need the cheese cake just give me the curd. It can even replace jam on toast. Please share your tart recipe.

Hello everyone.

Rosie is recovered and back to almost 100%. She hates to admit it, but the antibiotic and steroid shots work wonders for her when she is sick. My child has a huge fear of needles when they involve her. I need a shot or help inserting the insulin pump or sensor, she wants to do it. She is too happy to jab me with a needle. Grandma is in a coma, she has been since late Friday, early Saturday morning. She is breathing, and her heart is beating, but me and mom feel she left us Thursday. She has no response to anything, and her eye's remain half closed and do not even react to light. It really unnerves me if I am being honest. Her bp is now down to the 60/50 range as of yesterday. We have not checked it today, waiting on the RN to come out. I have my camera charging and will go out for pictures today. I need to get some of Poppet ruling over her domain. She is fully integrated into the flock and a busy body in everyone's business. I have been hiding outside a bit. I cannot sit inside 24/7 now and watch this. I am not alone in my need to get away. Grass did NOT need it, mom mowed it Sunday.

I would have loved this recipe but the site wants intrusive data 😢

Yes, as I thought, a paywall...NYT wants a higher subscription level to get the cooking section.

That tart sounds amazing. Lemon Curd, after trying homemade curd, has became one of my favorite sweet treats. We make it for our homemade New York Cheese cakes. I do not need the cheese cake just give me the curd. It can even replace jam on toast. Please share your tart recipe.
What a pain on the paywall - it even asked me for info and I think I have a subscription. Maybe I don't!

I am with @RebeccaBoyd - you can just eat the curd with a spoon and not need anything else. It is really the best sweet thing ever!

OK here goes on the recipe:

This is to fill a 10" (=25cm) pie crust. As I mentioned, I don't use their pie crust recipe - I make my own or make a Graham cracker crust which is easier and I think goes really well.
If anyone needs a pie crust recipe I am happy to share mine.

FOR THE LEMON CURD​

• 1¼pound (5 or 6) Meyer lemons (RC uses regular lemons or uses lemons and one orange as a substitute)
  • 1cup sugar
  • 5½ounces (1 stick plus 3 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing pan (RC uses salted butter)
  • 7large egg yolks
  • 5large eggs
  • ⅛teaspoon salt (RC always skips the salt because of using salted butter)

PREPARATION​

1. Step 1
    Make the crust: in the bowl of a mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add egg yolk and the milk, and beat to combine. In a medium bowl, combine the flour with salt. Slowly add the flour to the butter mixture, stirring until completely blended. Gather dough into two balls. Freeze one for future use, chill the other for at least 1 hour.
  2. Step 2
    Heavily butter a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press the dough into the pan and trim the edges. Prick the bottom with a fork, and place the shell in the freezer for 30 minutes.
  3. Step 3
    While shell is in freezer, prepare lemon curd. Grate zest of lemons. Squeeze lemons to extract 1 cup of juice. In a medium nonreactive saucepan, combine juice and zest. Add remaining sugar, butter and salt. Place over medium heat, stirring once or twice, until sugar is dissolved and the butter is melted.
  4. Step 4
    In bowl of a mixer, combine eggs and egg yolks until blended. Slowly add hot lemon mixture to eggs until blended. Return mixture to saucepan, and place over low heat. Whisk constantly until mixture thickens to a pudding-like consistency; do not allow it to boil. Remove from heat, and continue to stir to stop the cooking. Strain lemon curd into a bowl. Adjust sugar to taste; the curd should be tart, but may need additional sugar if the lemons were unripe. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it right against the surface of the curd. Allow to cool.
  5. Step 5
    Heat oven to 375 degrees. Remove tart shell from freezer, and bake until lightly golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Spoon lemon curd into tart shell, and smooth the top. Bake until filling has puffed around the edges, about 30 minutes. Cover edges with foil, if necessary, to prevent over-browning. Cool to room temperature before serving.

Lemon curd tax: the lovely Sylvie
    IMG_5609.jpeg

Hi all, long time no chat… but I’ve been trying to keep up on reading. Not much ever changes with that I suppose 😂 I have some sad news on the Duck front, Mocha is no longer with us, I believe due to an eagle based on how I found her. Ducks are either not laying or hiding their eggs, but I am up to Five or Six Dozen Chicken eggs a week. All my chickens are doing great, even though it’s been extremely wet here most of the month. I’m currently working on fencing a goat deterrent (there’s no such thing as goat-proof!) run to keep them away from the chicken feed, and still have two gates and 50-75 feet or so to go. If anyone has suggestions for chicken friendly ground covers for heavy mud and shade I’d greatly appreciate them!

Speaking of the goats, Ciaran has taken to jumping the fence, so I’m going to need to go up a foot or two because I really don’t want another barbwire incident with the single top strand that’s there. “Another incident” meaning we drove the 45 minutes to the abattoir for work, and we’re 15 minutes into cleaning/maintenance when I got a text from the neighbour with the dog (that keeps digging under the fence and “playing” with my chickens 😡) that Jimmy was “tangled in barbed wire” and she didn’t have gloves, she clarified it was wrapped around his horns, but we made it home in 30, without any speeding tickets. My landlords son/our immediate neighbor was home, and got him unwrapped before we got home. Jimmy also has an ear/eye infection going on (it’s a breed thing with laManchas because of their tiny or no exterior ears) so he’s been getting eye and ear drops every 12 hours. I’m not a popular person with him right now.
IMG_6381.jpeg

On the home front things are still somewhat stressful, mostly with my Mom and the whole beginnings of dementia situation. Her brother (my uncle) is planning a week vacation to come down and see her the first week of July, and expect to get an earful about things. Some big wins around the home situation were I turned a giant old desk our ex roommate from the city had in storage for the past 13 years into two low bookshelves, and got a free IKEA wardrobe I turned into another skinny one for the stairwell. The books are now almost completely unpacked with the exception of about four boxes we can store because the short Oxford dictionary and such aren’t exactly daily/light readers.
IMG_6390.jpeg

Andrew is still working weekends at the pub on Saturna, and the Abattoir here is essentially “closed” February through April being a seasonal sort of work. I’ve mostly completed the blueberry pruning, and have moved on to spraying with an organic fungicide on a 14 day cycle. Also on the “work” side of things, having figured that we are about as settled as we are going to get with the new living arrangements for now… I applied at the local grocery store. So I’ve now got an additional 40hrs/week job. Yay? I think?
Today was my first shift and I’ve already met two of the “difficult” customers, one with two littles in tow and the baby got its finger good and pinched in the shopping cart. There was the crying babe, a 4-5 year old bouncing little one and a very distressed and strung out looking mom who was also not able to pay for their full shopping order. I’m going to try to get some more chicken tax photos if the rain lets up before my shift today, but until then this is currently the best I’ve got…
IMG_6339.jpeg

My thinking was just that instead of a hook use a pad eye and a carabiner - same idea as the hook but things like that can lift and sway about so it might come off a regular hook.
Captain Hook was a fictional character who Disney monopolized. But those Carabiners were real!
🤦‍♂️ oh why won’t they listen?!

Back
Top Bottom