Huh. Sigh. Agathae is broody once more. She keeps heading back to the nest. I'm tired of trying to stop her. I wish I'd be able to hatch eggs, but Dad doesn't believe the Bigs would take the chicks happily. I do, but he doesn't. Agathae has promised she will NOT stop going broody until her chicks hatch.
Getting day old pullets is a safer bet. No risk of Roos.

Is Agathae boss hen? If so then she would protect the kiddos.

I sympathize.
I am already exhausted with broody politics and Tassels has only been going a bit over a week.
She will not get off the nest on her own. She will not drink. And she keeps trying to kill Sylvie.
Poor Sylvie!

I am glad my grey ladies and Buttercup were only trying out the BUK BUK BUKing. They seem to have given up on being broody.

Meanwhile it seems that the first load of chicks to arrive at Peavey will be on the 23rd, just as well I don’t have anyone broody!!!!!

She's not boss hen but she is highly respected. I think it'd be just fine, and Josey would be very proud of her.
There is always a risk, but if you have a broody coop to keep her a few days till the babies are able to run, it’s a good idea.

Why do you want more chickens? Even I am loathe to get more (but likley will).

There is always a risk, but if you have a broody coop to keep her a few days till the babies are able to run, it’s a good idea.

Why do you want more chickens? Even I am loathe to get more (but likley will).
It's more for Agathae then me. I feel she's not going to quit the broody stuff until she gets what she's thinking of. Last year she almost died trying to hatch chicks. This year I'm sure she's going to do it again. It seems to be a hill she's willing to die on.

Poor Sylvie!

I am glad my grey ladies and Buttercup were only trying out the BUK BUK BUKing. They seem to have given up on being broody.

Meanwhile it seems that the first load of chicks to arrive at Peavey will be on the 23rd, just as well I don’t have anyone broody!!!!!
Babs is totally fed up with Tassels and her antics and stalks her whenever I haul her out of the nest box. And in turn Tassels just goes for Sylvie, who as far as I can see has had almost nothing to do with her!

It's more for Agathae then me. I feel she's not going to quit the broody stuff until she gets what she's thinking of. Last year she almost died trying to hatch chicks. This year I'm sure she's going to do it again. It seems to be a hill she's willing to die on.
Dawn is broody. I set her up with some eggs, she seems to be taking care of herself. I check her crop every day just in case though, and also yank her out of the nest box (actually a cat carrier) to poop.

Hope she is a good mother. But I just figured, Tomatilla never went broody after raising chicks last year. I thought that maybe Dawn wouldn't go broody if she raised chicks this year. Maybe try that with Agathae?

Dawn is broody. I set her up with some eggs, she seems to be taking care of herself. I check her crop every day just in case though, and also yank her out of the nest box (actually a cat carrier) to poop.

Hope she is a good mother. But I just figured, Tomatilla never went broody after raising chicks last year. I thought that maybe Dawn wouldn't go broody if she raised chicks this year. Maybe try that with Agathae?
I have a hunch Agathae will be a fantastic mother.

Back
Top Bottom