Dawn is committed! I just have yet to see, when she has chicks, what she will do with them.
I've heard stories where the mom kills her chicks as soon as they hatch. I don't get that sense from Dawn, but it's completely possible. Oh well, I guess there's nothing I can do about it but hope she doesn't do that.
I'd be keeping a very close eye on her if I remotely suspected she'd kill her chick's.

There is always a risk, but if you have a broody coop to keep her a few days till the babies are able to run, it’s a good idea.

Why do you want more chickens? Even I am loathe to get more (but likley will).
:yuckyuck :clap

Loathe "to get more," my fat bottom. You're a compulsive chicky collector. If chickens were drugs, girl I'd put you in rehab myself :lau

Hello all,
Great day!
First time for the chicks outside.
And turns out, I now have 4 new chicks! My friend gave them to me as he couldn't take care of them. They are all in their new home now, the coop. All they need now is bedding.
And the adults in a group photo.
1000008559.jpg

Well, I did something that hurt me to do a few minutes ago. I love Poppet's poof. Poppet gets to free range now so I know it had to affect her vision. I took a page out of @Ponypoor book and trimmed her poof. It is not perfect by any means but I can see eyeballs now. She was not happy though and it took me and Rosie to do it. I think tomorrow I will have to touch up one side a bit more.
Poppet before trim.
DSCN2951.JPG

"I can see clearly now the poof is gone.."
DSCN2987.JPG
DSCN2990.JPG
DSCN2995.JPG
DSCN2999.JPG

Well, I did something that hurt me to do a few minutes ago. I love Poppet's poof. Poppet gets to free range now so I know it had to affect her vision. I took a page out of @Ponypoor book and trimmed her poof. It is not perfect by any means but I can see eyeballs now. She was not happy though and it took me and Rosie to do it. I think tomorrow I will have to touch up one side a bit more.
Poppet before trim.
View attachment 3797622
View attachment 3797626View attachment 3797627View attachment 3797628View attachment 3797629
:gig

Good one!

Oh I would have given her a Mohawk type trim - just leave a ridge down the centre of her head 😁

Punk rock chick 😆 gosh she’s cute 😊

Poppet before trim.
View attachment 3797622
View attachment 3797626View attachment 3797627View attachment 3797628View attachment 3797629
Looking good!

Hello all,
Great day!
First time for the chicks outside.
And turns out, I now have 4 new chicks! My friend gave them to me as he couldn't take care of them. They are all in their new home now, the coop. All they need now is bedding.
And the adults in a group photo.
View attachment 3797597
Awwww they are so cute - always busy aren’t they 😊

If that worked Goose and Lilly would be on their way tomorrow. Goose has been broody and sitting on nothing for almost 2 weeks now. Lilly is on day 2. Goose is also a proven broody, protective but will not kill her human. I have thought about it and decided to stand firm. Not hatching anything this year until Poppet starts laying. After that, all bets are off.
Yep, I won’t get anything until I see what the silkies hatch out, or if Sophia goes broody before that, hahaha.

Back
Top Bottom