Happy Fluffy Butt Friday everyone.

Sylvie and Piglet have nice clean tidy fluffy butts.
IMG_5986.jpeg

And after some spa-time help Bernie’s fluff is quite respectable.
IMG_5796.jpeg

Hello, FBA ! It seems to be that time of year again when chicken maths hits hard on humans and hens.

They may be a pain when you don't want more chickens, but there sure is no fluff like a broody's butt.
View attachment 3799229
View attachment 3799230
Three are broodies here but I'm not giving in ; unlike most of you, we want less chickens. I get pecked /insulted/ screamed at multiple times a day taking them off and blocking the coop in the afternoon. My few past experiences letting the broodies sit for three weeks hoping they would break out of it by themselves never succeeded.
I have tried many things to stop them being broody also. Some would finally stop after a few weeks or even 6 weeks! A few I threw chicks under to stop them.

Tis the way of the chicken I guess.

I had to delay my hatching escapade but was able to set some eggs a week later. So it was hatch day today for ONE chick yup thats right my fertilization rate is not good at all! Sighh, I will have to trim some vent feathers I think.
I did realize the issue when I candled the eggs on day 7 so I set some more but this poor chick that hatched today will be all by itself till the second batch hatches.
I have one jubilee that was coming along nicely and some blue eggs (peanuts) that I cant see into very well. I will candle them again as soon as this hatched chick dries out.

Hatching pic, it’s out now and drying off. More pics to come in the morning when I move it into the temporary brooder tote.
View attachment 3798936
Maybe a trip to TSC for a little pullet friend for her….

Missing person. I thought my career ended, but obviously not. I’m flying to Virginia Beach. And hopefully help this family find their daughter: Caucasian age 24 sandy blonde hair 5’4” approx. 130 lbs. last seen at her college. I was asked by a personal friend to come. I’m not sure what I’m getting into here, but I will definitely try my hardest to find her.
Tax: View attachment 3798966
Where is Virginia Beach? I sure hope she is found safe and sound.

There is a lot of questions surrounding the pronunciation of Marans, being from a bilingual country I figured I would check this town out. And find out the correct pronunciation of it. I know the ‘s’ is always silent, but what about that ‘R’ ? Usually it’s either rolled or pronounced with an ‘h’ sound, with a guttural roll almost ‘r’.

So what is it?

Well here in Wikipedia you can click the speaker icon and actually hear the exact pronunciation of Marans
(Ma-grron) the g is almost silent - more like rolling the ‘r’… or like Ma-row with a nasal Ma, and ‘like you’re going to spit’ row.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marans,_Maine-et-Loire

Now you can WOW everyone and correct them when they say Ma-rans 😊

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marans

Who knew ???

(Edit: ManueB please correct me if I am wrong, I have only Québécois french to go by!)

Back
Top Bottom