NOOOoo * YESSSss ~ Horse that wasn't bred foaled!!

So, what's the baby's name?
smile.png

LOL She has no name yet.

Her dam is Miss Gypsy Kid
Her sire is something Honey (cant remember what the other two words in his name is but I remember Honey because that is what his barn name is too)

So, this morning I was thinking Honeys Surprise Kid because she is a surprise and Honey is a part of dads name and Kid is a part of moms name.

It will probably take me a while to come up with a registered name but I was thinking of calling her Honey too (I like honey) or Butterscotch because she looks butterschotchy LOL

I am definatly up for suggestions though!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I am confused, why do you have to give up reining this year. They can work...the baby is out! That foal can sit on the sidelines in the trailer or in a round pen while momma "works" the reining arena. When done, baby eats! People do it all the time. It also gets baby introduced to the big world around her and used to noises and new sounds and excitment in the air. GO FOR IT!!!!

OH and congrats on the beauty! WOW what a nice surprise!

Quote:
I am confused, why do you have to give up reining this year. They can work...the baby is out! That foal can sit on the sidelines in the trailer or in a round pen while momma "works" the reining arena. When done, baby eats! People do it all the time. It also gets baby introduced to the big world around her and used to noises and new sounds and excitment in the air. GO FOR IT!!!!

OH and congrats on the beauty! WOW what a nice surprise!

I am going to look into it. I knew some people did it but I have never tried to compete a mare nursing. I always give them time off from everything to be a mom. Plus this mare lost alot having this baby. I am worried I had been underfeeding her not knowing she was pregnant. Most of the 'good weight' I thought she had was mostly baby in the belly. I just don't want to over stress her.
'
I like that name Fudgie
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks for the name....I thought it fit her.

The thing on competition is if you continue to work her, she stays in shape, bump up her good calories and put her on a lactating mare formula. I am not saying run her hind end off, but keep her competing. Maybe one competition a month instead of 4 a month, etc. just keep her in the game. She will enjoy it if it is in her blood to do so. She will let you know if she is getting too much.. watch her! Watch how she stands at the competitions. If she droops her head, stop! if she is alert and ready and you can feel the excitement in her....let her continue. Feel your horse while you are on her. You can feel her emotion if you are really tuned in to her!

Quote:
Thanks for the name....I thought it fit her.

The thing on competition is if you continue to work her, she stays in shape, bump up her good calories and put her on a lactating mare formula. I am not saying run her hind end off, but keep her competing. Maybe one competition a month instead of 4 a month, etc. just keep her in the game. She will enjoy it if it is in her blood to do so. She will let you know if she is getting too much.. watch her! Watch how she stands at the competitions. If she droops her head, stop! if she is alert and ready and you can feel the excitement in her....let her continue. Feel your horse while you are on her. You can feel her emotion if you are really tuned in to her!

I had a mare once that when you got in front of the barrels to barrel race her you could feel every muscle in her body tense like she KNEW what was coming and she wanted to be in there giving it her all. If she was not on her "game" you could feel that tension missing and knew something was wrong. She would work for me but just not the same...that is what I am talking about. Feel your mare!

Aww how precious, shes a good looking filly thats for sure.
One more plus.... think of all the money you'll save by not having to put sliders on her anymore! WOO HOO
My aunt breeds and trains performance horses. I just love reining, what a rush!

Same thing happened to me last year, except I bred my own mare, was told she was open and turned her out with no grain, no nothing. She got skinny a week or so before she foaled too. Got a fantastic filly out of it. The mare is top top top halter bred, the father is top top top Western Pleasure bred...

4moslope.JPG

Back
Top Bottom