I am not sure WTH is going on but........
It is mice season here. I have seen mice (years past) actually chewing feathers off my sleeping birds.........they were taking neck and back feathers not wing.
:hmm I wonder if there is a sneaky mouse stealing his glory.
He normally sleeps on top of the plastic trash can I use for feed, he's the only one who sleeps there, so that might be what's going on. I need to get my traps back out.

OH! I completely forgot. Last night when I was counting chickens I heard a weird sound and turned my head and a fawn about 3' tall ran right past the chicken coop! I never saw a mama or any other babies. It stood in the clearing about 20' behind the coop for a few minutes and when I looked again it was gone. I wanted to get a better look, but I was worried the mama would come along and get upset w/ me being too close to her baby.

He normally sleeps on top of the plastic trash can I use for feed, he's the only one who sleeps there, so that might be what's going on. I need to get my traps back out.

What has me thinking mice is the way they are nipped in squared off sections.
The mice targeted certain birds while leaving others alone here.

Last edited:
I have what's probably a stupid question...
What's up w/ William's feathers? His chest his patchy and you can see in the first pick that he's got a bald neck. In the lower pictures, esp the bottom one you can see that his wings are very rough looking. He did a full molt last fall. He turned 2 in Feb.. I've checked him and several others for mites and whatnot... he dusts, but not as frequently as the hens. Is this normal wear and tear? My hens that molted last fall look amazing still & the few that have been in a perpetual molt for the past few months look terrible, but even their feathers aren't this damaged. I was thinking about giving him a puff of poultry dust to see if that helps, but haven't b/c I cannot find the container. View attachment 1812724 View attachment 1812725 View attachment 1812727
Worn out from rooster duty?

I have what's probably a stupid question...
What's up w/ William's feathers? His chest his patchy and you can see in the first pick that he's got a bald neck. In the lower pictures, esp the bottom one you can see that his wings are very rough looking. He did a full molt last fall. He turned 2 in Feb.. I've checked him and several others for mites and whatnot... he dusts, but not as frequently as the hens. Is this normal wear and tear? My hens that molted last fall look amazing still & the few that have been in a perpetual molt for the past few months look terrible, but even their feathers aren't this damaged. I was thinking about giving him a puff of poultry dust to see if that helps, but haven't b/c I cannot find the container. View attachment 1812724 View attachment 1812725 View attachment 1812727
Sometimes the hens will do that to a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom