1% is very insulting. :hmm

Do they seriously think anyone would be :celebrateabout that amount??

I went 5 years with no raise. :rolleyes: then was given a whopping $1 an hour raise after I pushed hard. Seriously that is like getting a 20 cent raise each of those 5 years.
Then I overheard a conversation a new person was having with their spouse.....she was getting paid the same as me with zero experience. :mad:

I totally understand where you're at with that job. Better things are out there. :hugs
We didn't get raises for several years. The state cut our funding so in 2009 several people were "laid off", but never returned. Others had their hours cut, 3 branches had their hours cut down to 25 / week, one branch was closed completely a couple years later. There was a hiring freeze and all unnecessary positions went unfilled or people had to double up. One lady had her full time job cut down to part time. She quit soon after she realized it wasn't coming back. I had my hours cut from 25 to 20. They would have been happy to never give us a raise again, but then the finally did get them. All previous full time positions were cut into 2 part time positions. Can't get a levy to pass, even used a company that claimed they can get one to pass anywhere. Things were slowly building back up. IDK if they see that things are going to get bad again (our funding comes from state income taxes so when income taxes go down our funding goes down) or if they're just being stingy. For years I was making less than a delivery driver b/c when she started she needed a cdl to drive the bookmobile. Now she doesn't b/c that was closed down too, but she's grandfathered in to that level. I complained & they said they "forgot" us... The next negotiations 3 years later I complained & got bumped up. It was nice, but now that I'm working in IT make 13.68/ hr when other libraries are hiring in for the same job at that rate, I'm getting screwed. IDK if the union guy shared my letter saying I'm looking to leave, but I think there's some people who are hoping that that threat is going to management rethink things. Last raises were 4%, 3%, 2%. They want to increase the starting rate for new hires "significantly" but it doesn't say anything at all about what they would do for people who already work here. The email that was sent out just talked about how they wanted to do stuff for people w/ a MLS.. that doesn't help me.

Best of luck Apryl
Thanks! Today's the last day to submit so I'm hoping to hear from them next week. I'll have to go get grown up interview clothes. A lady I work w/ now worked there years ago and said they're VERY concerned w/ appearances and to dress very well. I don't own anything nice so I'll get to go shopping for clothes that make me feel uncomfortable.

I was just talking about raises with someone and she said how a 3% raise, which is pretty standard, doesn't even cover inflation. I haven't had a raise for my one job in at a least 5 years. I asked and the boss said ok but I didn't get it. I'll be reminding him again this week when I turn in my hours. Also annoys me that new hire makes the same as me. The same girl who in less then the year she has worked has taken 6 weeks vacation. Not paid but that's a strain on the other workers, mainly me.
That happened to my brother! The shop he worked at hired a young woman w/ no experience and paid her MORE than he was paid after years of working there and having tons of experience, able to run several machines. He quit & found a job in CA. He's making a ton more $$ than he would have ever made here & they lost one of their best workers.
I hope you get your raise. I'd point out that you've been there for 8 years and are making the same as new people. Check out indeed.com for stuff in your area. You might even be able to move to a different company if you want to keep cleaning. When I was looking at KSU's employment stuff they have custodian positions open. A guy I worked w/ did that while he got his MLS for free, he was a manager here, but the carp pay made him leave to take a reference position in Akron. Another school closer to you might have something too. We need to get out of the carp jobs & find some place that will appreciate us.

I am gearing up to make pickles! I have not made them in decades.
So many cucumbers though....I don't want to waste those.

I grew some "green dragon" variety along with marketmore and telegraph pole. Kind of interesting the marketmore are the best producers but had lagged behind in growth for a long time.
I didn't know there were so many kinds of cucumbers. I just know the fat ones you get at the store and the skinny ones that look weird & are wrapped in plastic.

The runs have covered areas, so they should stay dry.
I may steal your idea. Mine need somewhere to roll around & dust inside the run & I have to replace the tarp this weekend so I'll be inside the run anyway. I worried about it filling w/ water & turning to chicken poop soup. It smells bad enough out there w/ the mud.

Hey y'all. Thanks for all the kind words :hugs

A tiny bit of good news; I think I finally found something on Craigslist that I can convert into a bigger tank for Tad! Excited about having a fun, new project. I feel like a mini Cappy!

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/fuo/d/rio-rancho-two-piece-hutch/6951144975.html
That'd be awesome! I know a guy who turned a tall dresser into a rat house. Bottom drawer was where he kept the food & stuff & the top 3 sections were for the rats. It was pretty cool looking and they had only chewed on it a little.

My hen that got stuck behind the nest box survived the night. I put some gatorade in their water today. 96° out there! We need rain so much!!!
I'll send you some of our rain/ drizzle stuff. IDK how the southern places live like that all the time. Never go outside, I guess.

Cartoon Cathy, it is an ancient towel but in very good condition i'm amazed by it. :)View attachment 1878369
Um.. I think it's in very good condition b/c it's a Cathy towel. Probably wasn't use much, if ever.

The Squatchers always brighten up my day! How can looking in a chicken's mouth be so funny???? How can a giant zucchini escape detection of the gardener??? Eternal questions are asked and answered here every day! I'm still struggling to move, the truck came yesterday and the movers moved all the furniture except 1 bed and a couple of chairs with the built-in table. Microwave dinners last night -- not much cooking done when everything is a disaster. 98 degrees in Prescott is very hot for here, so just cleaned up inside after the movers took stuff -- how was there so much dirt under the couch????
When my friend moved she found a dog's worth of fur under her couches, behind the tv, and under her bed. We went back to her old house to get the last bit and it had been closed up for several days. It reeked of dog in there. Her last dog passed away last year and she's still finding dog hair from him when she cleans.

We didn't get raises for several years. The state cut our funding so in 2009 several people were "laid off", but never returned. Others had their hours cut, 3 branches had their hours cut down to 25 / week, one branch was closed completely a couple years later. There was a hiring freeze and all unnecessary positions went unfilled or people had to double up. One lady had her full time job cut down to part time. She quit soon after she realized it wasn't coming back. I had my hours cut from 25 to 20. They would have been happy to never give us a raise again, but then the finally did get them. All previous full time positions were cut into 2 part time positions. Can't get a levy to pass, even used a company that claimed they can get one to pass anywhere. Things were slowly building back up. IDK if they see that things are going to get bad again (our funding comes from state income taxes so when income taxes go down our funding goes down) or if they're just being stingy. For years I was making less than a delivery driver b/c when she started she needed a cdl to drive the bookmobile. Now she doesn't b/c that was closed down too, but she's grandfathered in to that level. I complained & they said they "forgot" us... The next negotiations 3 years later I complained & got bumped up. It was nice, but now that I'm working in IT make 13.68/ hr when other libraries are hiring in for the same job at that rate, I'm getting screwed. IDK if the union guy shared my letter saying I'm looking to leave, but I think there's some people who are hoping that that threat is going to management rethink things. Last raises were 4%, 3%, 2%. They want to increase the starting rate for new hires "significantly" but it doesn't say anything at all about what they would do for people who already work here. The email that was sent out just talked about how they wanted to do stuff for people w/ a MLS.. that doesn't help me.

Thanks! Today's the last day to submit so I'm hoping to hear from them next week. I'll have to go get grown up interview clothes. A lady I work w/ now worked there years ago and said they're VERY concerned w/ appearances and to dress very well. I don't own anything nice so I'll get to go shopping for clothes that make me feel uncomfortable.

That happened to my brother! The shop he worked at hired a young woman w/ no experience and paid her MORE than he was paid after years of working there and having tons of experience, able to run several machines. He quit & found a job in CA. He's making a ton more $$ than he would have ever made here & they lost one of their best workers.
I hope you get your raise. I'd point out that you've been there for 8 years and are making the same as new people. Check out indeed.com for stuff in your area. You might even be able to move to a different company if you want to keep cleaning. When I was looking at KSU's employment stuff they have custodian positions open. A guy I worked w/ did that while he got his MLS for free, he was a manager here, but the carp pay made him leave to take a reference position in Akron. Another school closer to you might have something too. We need to get out of the carp jobs & find some place that will appreciate us.

I didn't know there were so many kinds of cucumbers. I just know the fat ones you get at the store and the skinny ones that look weird & are wrapped in plastic.

I may steal your idea. Mine need somewhere to roll around & dust inside the run & I have to replace the tarp this weekend so I'll be inside the run anyway. I worried about it filling w/ water & turning to chicken poop soup. It smells bad enough out there w/ the mud.

That'd be awesome! I know a guy who turned a tall dresser into a rat house. Bottom drawer was where he kept the food & stuff & the top 3 sections were for the rats. It was pretty cool looking and they had only chewed on it a little.

I'll send you some of our rain/ drizzle stuff. IDK how the southern places live like that all the time. Never go outside, I guess.

Um.. I think it's in very good condition b/c it's a Cathy towel. Probably wasn't use much, if ever.

When my friend moved she found a dog's worth of fur under her couches, behind the tv, and under her bed. We went back to her old house to get the last bit and it had been closed up for several days. It reeked of dog in there. Her last dog passed away last year and she's still finding dog hair from him when she cleans.
Good luck on the new Job!

With a new house comes new resolutions -- one being Dylan in a better room that does not have to be walked through to get to the computer. I do spoil my house bird, she gets floor time to chew pine cones and that gets tracked all over on our feet. This bird corral will not be in front of a door! And with all that outside space, some out side area is in order! After the stuff is unboxed. On the bright side, the chicken area is ready except for a fence around a yard area for future chickens. Looking at the electric net fences.
Sounds like this move is going to be great for everyone. It's amazing how fast things move when you're not waiting for other people to do their jobs. Molting is pretty dirty business too. When I have Klaus inside to treat her toes she was 1/2 way through w/ a molt and there was feather sheath bits all over the place.

My son went back to work at the horrid place I quit from.
He told me several of the people that were there when I left have been asking if I am coming back.

UM...no. I left for valid reasons. No reason to believe anything has changed.
It's hard to go back to a job that you know you were being taken advantage at. I know someone who left a job at a library b/c they weren't paying him enough & they wouldn't give him a raise. He got a great job at our regional and was there for about a year, but then his old job came begging for him to come back and offered him more than he was making at the regional to get him. He went back, but they had actually realized how lucky they were to have him. I'd be nice if that happened for me, but I don't expect it. They just hire someone new and try to screw them over too. Plus I'd rather enjoy hearing about the chaos that will happen after I leave. I'm hoping that on my very last day I walk out of the building as a delivery truck pulls in w/ all the equipment that my boss didn't order over the last 3 years & I drive away as they realize that I was the only one who knew how to do anything.

I have a super noisy bird this morning. :hmm
It is the Barnevelder known as Havoc. She has also taken to screaming at her window at 5am. :rolleyes:

I know it is because my son turns on the big flood light when he takes Delilah out.

Stinkin birds are way to loud to early today. :hmm
Sounds like she's your new security system.

Back
Top Bottom