I had a hen with 4 eggs due today. Yesterday I seen some smashed eggs in front of her. She was in the back of a short pen, so I had to crawl in. 1dead beat up wet chick with bloody shell... and 1 beat up cracked egg with a live chick :barnie which I put in the incubator. It was still alive this morning and I helped it out. Seems ok, time will tell.
first killer Mama, I am aware of.... but I think she's the same one last year had a similar mess and I thought she accidentally smashed eggs..at least she is the color, white CX mix, in same pen... she will get a bunch of leg bands. Another egg was a broken clear and 1 more still under her, but it was oily so I think it's a dud.

I had a hen with 4 eggs due today. Yesterday I seen some smashed eggs in front of her. She was in the back of a short pen, so I had to crawl in. 1dead beat up wet chick with bloody shell... and 1 beat up cracked egg with a live chick :barnie which I put in the incubator. It was still alive this morning and I helped it out. Seems ok, time will tell.
first killer Mama, I am aware of.... but I think she's the same one last year had a similar mess and I thought she accidentally smashed eggs..at least she is the color, white CX mix, in same pen... she will get a bunch of leg bands. Another egg was a broken clear and 1 more still under her, but it was oily so I think it's a dud.
I tried to save so many poor squished eggs. None of them made it. And of course now that those nests don't have hatching eggs in no one is using them! 7 nests out there. Must use nests with fragile almost ready eggs in!

I tried to save so many poor squished eggs. None of them made it. And of course now that those nests don't have hatching eggs in no one is using them! 7 nests out there. Must use nests with fragile almost ready eggs in!
it's bad when other hens smash them accidentally. They just have to use the popular box.
This hen was locked in a spare pen by herself. :mad:. I thought she chose wisely to pick somewhere I could lock her in... didn't realize it was because she is psycho :eek:

it's bad when other hens smash them accidentally. They just have to use the popular box.
This hen was locked in a spare pen by herself. :mad:. I thought she chose wisely to pick somewhere I could lock her in... didn't realize it was because she is psycho :eek:
Sounds like time for some chicken pot pie . . . Not laying, and not hatching her eggs.:(

Good afternoon everyone.

Been super busy here. Taking a break while some stain dries. We are putting up a pergola in the dog kennel to give better shade for the malamute.
Maybe Pergola is the wrong term......adding a board to the shop wall and to some posts then boards in between set on a 60° slant to block the sun.
Lean to? Naw doesn't fit.
Awning? Kinda but not really.
Pergola? Well there ARE posts but just on one side.
:confused:

Good afternoon everyone.

Been super busy here. Taking a break while some stain dries. We are putting up a pergola in the dog kennel to give better shade for the malamute.
Maybe Pergola is the wrong term......adding a board to the shop wall and to some posts then boards in between set on a 60° slant to block the sun.
Lean to? Naw doesn't fit.
Awning? Kinda but not really.
Pergola? Well there ARE posts but just on one side.
:confused:
Porch? LOL

Back
Top Bottom