Well this morning I seen a piece of egg shell infront of psycho hen. I already had given all chicks to other hens. I crawled in to her to put a band on.... well I heard a chick under her...so I guess she finally switched from sitting to mama mode... I don't like one chick alone so grabbed the chick that she almost killed and she is good with it.
So out of 29 incubator eggs and over a DZ under hens... I have 10 chicks so far... one hen hadn't come off the nest so could be more.
That's good, I hope the number continues to rise.

Well this morning I seen a piece of egg shell infront of psycho hen. I already had given all chicks to other hens. I crawled in to her to put a band on.... well I heard a chick under her...so I guess she finally switched from sitting to mama mode... I don't like one chick alone so grabbed the chick that she almost killed and she is good with it.
So out of 29 incubator eggs and over a DZ under hens... I have 10 chicks so far... one hen hadn't come off the nest so could be more.
So it looks like she gets a reprieve from chicken pot pie! Or maybe just parole with an ankle bracelet?

Any luck? I will be offline most of the day and have never used an incubator but ..... I read....a lot.
Can you very carefully put a safety hole through the shell in case it is internally pipped and needs more air?
I put a little hole and waited a few hours. Nothing happened so I opened the end of the egg. He had not broke the air cell. He fully developed but for some reason did not hatch.
20200704_111154.jpg

Good afternoon everyone.

Been super busy here. Taking a break while some stain dries. We are putting up a pergola in the dog kennel to give better shade for the malamute.
Maybe Pergola is the wrong term......adding a board to the shop wall and to some posts then boards in between set on a 60° slant to block the sun.
Lean to? Naw doesn't fit.
Awning? Kinda but not really.
Pergola? Well there ARE posts but just on one side.
:confused:
Dogola?

Red White Blue
Happy 4th of July
(chicken style)
20200703_185515.jpg

I worked outside all day yesterday. Started a fire of all the old wood from the coop before it was the coop. (2 years later) Then did odds and ends while it burned. Washed all the chicken waterers. Put up the canopy so they have more shade. Cleaned the smaller runs. I have some of the biggest worms I've ever seen. Played a little ball with the dog. It was warm enough I had to dump and refill her pool several times. Gave Crownan a bath and treated him for bugs, AGAIN. Not sure he'll ever be normal but he's just too sweet to give up on. Installed my driveway sensor so in the house I know when someone pulls in. (Or a bird flys by....) Even ran the vacuum and cleaned the bathroom.

Got the "Dogola" up. The shade is not as solid as desired. :he

Soooooooo.......

Going to add shade cloth double layer on a PVC frame......we will see how that works. It makes solid shade, will be WELL supported with 14 boards at 2x6" under it. Thinking screw hooks to hold the PVC down.

Really really hot out. :sick

Red White Blue
Happy 4th of July
(chicken style)
View attachment 2226780

I worked outside all day yesterday. Started a fire of all the old wood from the coop before it was the coop. (2 years later) Then did odds and ends while it burned. Washed all the chicken waterers. Put up the canopy so they have more shade. Cleaned the smaller runs. I have some of the biggest worms I've ever seen. Played a little ball with the dog. It was warm enough I had to dump and refill her pool several times. Gave Crownan a bath and treated him for bugs, AGAIN. Not sure he'll ever be normal but he's just too sweet to give up on. Installed my driveway sensor so in the house I know when someone pulls in. (Or a bird flys by....) Even ran the vacuum and cleaned the bathroom.
Happy 4TH of July! I was cleaning out chicken stuff this morning, and was moving the Barred Holland chicks from the brooder to a carrier, back to brooder. So I counted them more carefully than I did when I first got them. 26 happy, Little poopers (eh, peepers)! 10 days old, Bob sent an extra one. :celebrateIdeal, on the other hand did not, and one of theirs died. A happy surprise for cleaning on a holiday!:)

Back
Top Bottom