Pics
So is it a fail ? or will it jam ? :frow
It may or may not be jam but it's not really a fail if you can still use it as syrup. ;)
I hope it will set up enough for you to be jam though, time will tell. I'd give it three days after processing and see.
I made Blackberry Syrup a few years ago and it went fast! It's so good on pancakes and waffles... and probably vanilla ice cream. :drool

Koi

our RK is sold out of jars lids etc. and has been for a few weeks :th
Farm and Fleet near me has a ton of jars today. However, they are a cheap brand, Harvest Fresh is the name I think. The jars are not so bad, it's the lids on them that are terrible and nobody around here all Ball lids by the sleeve so they're $3 for a dozen lids. There's limited qty of Ball jars and other major brands. However, I found Ball jars at Walmart yesterday. A lot of my jars are Bernardin, which I've had good success with too but nobody here really sells them.

Processing 12 pints of bell peppers in tomato sauce, 3 pints banana peppers in tomato sauce, and 5 pints pepper jam. Just placed a batch of jars in the waterbath and have just 2 more jars waiting to get processed.

Also, I got these wide mouth square pint jars (Ball brand) that I really like. The banana peppers and jam are in the square jars.

20210829_132719.jpg
20210829_132736.jpg
20210829_132644.jpg

ETA The sound of lids popping in the kitchen is music to my ears.

That POP is a satisfying sound for sure.

Here I took most of my garden out today. I start a new job tomorrow and it would be to much to do after work. It is both sad but necessary that the corn, beans, hot peppers and onions are all harvested.

I kept the early girl tomato plants and the bell peppers in the ground. Many of my yellow and orange peppers are half ripe.

I am working hard to process almost 70 ears of corn. :thI still have 2 bags of beans and 25+ pounds of tomatoes as well as a full grocery bag of jalapenos.

I have to be up at 3:30 am so much of this stuff will have to wait.

Think I will make a go at canning tomato sauce getting allot tomato's may be the time to try.
I have two new canning books from Amazon to study
I roast them and then peel and remove the seeds. Then I blend the "meat" of the tomatoes into a puree. You can process a tomato puree right then or cook it down in a pot over a low simmer to thicken into sauce. I like to add garlic, onion, bell pepper, basil and oregano. Use canning salt rather than table salt. You can waterbath process it, but add 1/4 cup ACV per quart to increase acidity to make it shelf stable. You can alternatively pressure can or freeze the sauce.

Back
Top Bottom