Pics
Already have seed and plans for next year.
I'm just now working on this myself.
No seeds for next year yet other than leftovers form this year.
I need to source some more garlic ASAP for planting next month. I bought a few heads of a hard neck variety at the farmers market this year but not nearly enough. I think I'm going to go with store bought hard neck again. It did well this year for being planted in Spring. I imagine it will do very well with a Fall planting. The trouble is just finding hard neck in bulk again. I think I know which store I found it in this past Spring, but it's a store that often changes their produce based availability so they might not have it anymore.
I'm also going to try shallots I think this year if I can source them.

Cleaned out/sorted both freezers this morning. DH and DS are shovers and I'm a sorter. I could never find anything, that drives me NUTS. I came across a 4# package of chicken, thawed it, tossed it in the pressure cooker while I worked outside, came in just now for lunch, shredded it, tossed it in jars, and tossed those in the pressure canner. As soon as it it up to pressure, I'll go back outside to finish painting out there.

5pints out of 4 pounds with enough left over for DH to toss into a salad tomorrow.

I never see garlic for planting for sale here, ever.

I never see garlic for planting for sale here, ever.
It might be too late to buy online for this year...? I got my garlic from a local farm stand. I separated the cloves and planted them. This will be the third year for me. I don't know how many bulbs I bought, but they've been doing very well every year.

The oven is full of tomatoes, which will be peeled and turned into sauce I think. There another 2.5-3 gallons of tomatoes that are still a bit unripe that will get processed in a few days (that will two pans in the oven again).

The sooner is also full right now. I've got the rest of the habaneros smoking. They'll go all day and night with a maple wood fire (I happen to have the maple from cutting one of our trees). I may decide to can them in adobo our just fully dehydrate them, or perhaps a bit of both.

I have more jalapeños, bell and banana peppers to process still too. Deciding what I wasn't to do with them. Some will go into sauce/salsa. I might pick up a bag of carrots and can some pickled jalapeños and carrots for taco nights. I also might dehydrate some jalapeños for cooking with later since I canned the entire last batch in adobo. Extra bell peppers will get frozen. The banana peppers are a problem though... I have put up so many already in pepper jam, sauce and salsa and even canned in spicy tomato sauce. I just don't know what else to do with them now. They might end up frozen too.

Pickle the banana peppers for subs and pizza!
=====
We have a wonderfully dry air mass at the moment, so tomorrow I'll take the dehydrator outside and fill it to the brim with onions! Bwahahahahaaaaaaaa

========
I hope to get to the store roma tomatoes tomorrow.

Haralson apples come in this weekend too. PIE apples mean PIE filling time.

Got my dehydrator running for the first time today. Christened it with some hamburger jerky. I put in 4 pounds, it will fit 6 possibly 8. We have our hamburger packaged into 2 pound packages. We take our pigs and cows to the butcher, but process our chickens and turkeys ourselves. I'm getting sick of taking care of turkeys though, and we are talking about fazing out of them.
4 pounds of dehydrated hamburger jerky only filled a gallon ziploc 3/4 of the way full. :rolleyes:
IMG_1827.JPG

Woke up just before dawn to the rumble of combines heading the the fields, so it's that time of year. I was bit by my first minute pirate bug yesterday, so the soybeans are ready for harvest.

I finished squashing all the store roma tomatoes in the mill. A FULL 11 pounds of the 25 pounds were squishy, smelly, and MOLDY!, all were in the bottom of the case and it was not apparent when I bought them. Luckily, I have a good relationship with my grocer and she'll refund my money for that 11 pounds.
10 pounds of onions are in the dehydrator. I wasn't sure my eyes were going to stop burning, and boy my sinus' are clear (for now).
The tomato sauce is simmering on the stove.

Back
Top Bottom