Pics
Hey all I AM SO GLAD TO FIND THIS THREAD AGAIN. ! I ordered Ball lids off of walmart. com about 2-3 weeks ago. There was limit of 6 boxes of each size(reg. amd lrg.) But decent prices 2.78 and 3.18. Just wanted to let all you know cause I was shocked and skeptical but came in 7 to 10 days or so. Yes Ball brand . Especially thought of you @Withrlady and breeder

Hey all I AM SO GLAD TO FIND THIS THREAD AGAIN. ! I ordered Ball lids off of walmart. com about 2-3 weeks ago. There was limit of 6 boxes of each size(reg. amd lrg.) But decent prices 2.78 and 3.18. Just wanted to let all you know cause I was shocked and skeptical but came in 7 to 10 days or so. Yes Ball brand . Especially thought of you @Withrlady and breeder
Awesome! We better stock up on lids while the demand is low during the winter I guess. I only have a few extra lids laying around right now.
Also, glad to found us again. :) Stick around.

I received 15-20 lbs bags of apples and 15 lbs of onions from a friend. Anybody have ideas?

Apples: I thought about apple butter, but it doesn't really go over well in our household. It gets opened and then sits in the fridge until it gets tossed into the compost. I might try to freeze apple pies. I'll definitely make at least one apple pie for a family holiday party this weekend. Thinking about making and freezing individual sized apple pies. Anybody ever try this?

Onions: I'm thinking about chopping and freezing them. Another option is onion jam. Anybody have a recipe for that and an idea of the yield I would get from 15 lbs of onions?

I received 15-20 lbs bags of apples and 15 lbs of onions from a friend. Anybody have ideas?

Apples: I thought about apple butter, but it doesn't really go over well in our household. It gets opened and then sits in the fridge until it gets tossed into the compost. I might try to freeze apple pies. I'll definitely make at least one apple pie for a family holiday party this weekend. Thinking about making and freezing individual sized apple pies. Anybody ever try this?

Onions: I'm thinking about chopping and freezing them. Another option is onion jam. Anybody have a recipe for that and an idea of the yield I would get from 15 lbs of onions?
Pickeled onions maybe?

I can Apple Pie Filling and Applesauce.
I dehydrated tons of apples this year, and they are a very tasty treat!

I can Apple Pie Filling and Applesauce.
Canning apple pie filling sounds like a good idea. I don't usually make a very gelled pie filling though. I actually season and sugar my apple slices and let them sit in a bowl, where the sugar draws out a lot of the moisture, and then put just the apple slices into the pie crust and leave the liquid behind. I do taste them and add more sugar if necessary and mix in a bit of corn starch though. It doesn't come out like a store bought pie though. Far more apple and far less gel in my pies. That said, I would not know how to can them them. Can I can them in syrup instead of gel so I can leave the syrup out later?

Also I should mention the are golden delicious apples.

Golden delicious apples are the BEST! they make a good dehydrated apple for snacking.

You can also can apple slices or chunks. I do chunks so I can add them to my morning oatmeal. I also use them for apple bread, cinnamon apple monkey bread, fillings for muffins and have even been known to eat half a jar for dessert. Mash a drained jar of apple chunks, add some cinnamon and sugar for an applesauce to go with your porkchop supper.

Here is a good reference for canning apples: https://extension.umn.edu/preserving-and-preparing/canning-apples

I love dehydrated apples! I slice the chunks as thick as they can be to fit in my dehydrator, and I can put about a half bushel in it, with a few left over.

I might get another half bushel before the farmstand closes for the winter. These were Galas, and they were getting just a bit mushy for eating fresh, but they're great dried. Sometimes at the very end of their season, they have them on sale... :)

Back
Top Bottom