Pics
I just got some pickling lime for water glassing the plethora of eggs I hope to have next late summer/fall. Has anyone done this? I know, probably not the time of year to ask, but 🤷‍♀️
No, but there are some good videos on YouTube I know. If you do eventually do it, let us know how it goes.

I know that @DobieLover has done water glassing. IIRC, she's still taking eggs from her stash.

My neighbor with 35 chickens (most are laying) might be interested in doing this. I'll have to check with her.
Yes, I water glassed two 5-gallon buckets full of eggs.
IMG_20210719_094424838.jpg

I'll be finished with the first bucket this week and will start into the second.
So the eggs we are eating now were laid last summer.

They are more runny than fresh eggs but taste the same and perform the same in cooking. I don't bake so I don't know about their performance there.

I tried once to hard boil a batch after poking a pin hole through the shell to vent them. It was an unmitigated disaster and I won't do it again. So for now, I just collect the small number of fresh eggs I do get through the winter and boil them when I get a dozen. We just cut back on hard boiled eggs in our salads.

Anybody have good information on shelf life of canned goods after opening?

I refrigerate after opening, but wonder how long things are good for then. The goods I have are: pickled cucumbers, pickled radishes, red tomato salsa, green tomato salsa, green tomato ketchup, and various jams and jellies.

Anybody have good information on shelf life of canned goods after opening?

I refrigerate after opening, but wonder how long things are good for then. The goods I have are: pickled cucumbers, pickled radishes, red tomato salsa, green tomato salsa, green tomato ketchup, and various jams and jellies.
I don't know. But anything with a lot of vinegar should last awhile, I'd think. A couple weeks, at least...?

I've had open apple butter last a month when I forgot it, then discovered it again.

This is just my opinion and take it with a grain of salt!
I have found that anything with vinegar (ie. pickled) will last many months (oldest was pickles for 12 months open in fridge and still good). I fthe pickles start to wrinkle or go soft, toss 'em.

My home canned tomatoes only last about 9 days after opening them before starting to turn.

I've been told that jams and jellies will last 2 or 3 months because of all the sugar - unless it is polluted with butter, crumbs, peanut butter, yogurt ... stuff that comes off the knife when double dipping. I had jam mold (bad) and crystalize (funky texture) in the fridge after about 8 months being open in fridge.

I was just wondering in case I can't get it at the store. Is it ok to use regular vinegar in canning? I've been using canning vinegar but I was curious.

Back
Top Bottom