Sgalli

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2021
South Louisiana
Ok so I have a small serama hen that just started laying. I have one silkie rooster that is very nice to her. I was hoping to they could match up! Is it possible? Or will the silkie rooster be too big for her? He tried once but she sounded panicked. Anyone have any experience they could share would be much appreciated! TIA

How big is your Serama pullet? How big if your Silkie?

I only ask because all Serama are small. My big girl is 1.2lbs, so a big Serama hen. A class A size, in my opinion, would be too small for a silkie. Plus they have such short legs. My only silkie rooster is small at 2lbs + a few ozs but he's big compared to my Serama. I was planning on letting my small OEGB rooster mate with my Serama, possibly, because he's the smallest and sweetest thing here

How big is your Serama pullet? How big if your Silkie?

I only ask because all Serama are small. My big girl is 1.2lbs, so a big Serama hen. A class A size, in my opinion, would be too small for a silkie

Attachments

• 59C3F463-84DA-45AA-9BF3-BD69CC76F013.jpeg
    59C3F463-84DA-45AA-9BF3-BD69CC76F013.jpeg
    644.7 KB · Views: 53
My Serama is a little larger than yours and I wouldn't let any of my boys, with the exception of the tiny OEGB rooster I mentioned above, mate with her. I've heard that they'll likely sort it out on their own but with her size, I'd be watching her very closely. I know how easy it is to love those teeny tiny ones so I have no doubt that is why you've posted. In my honest and most sincere opinion, I wouldn't let him even try again

I know that @Folly's place has kept Bantams and regular sized chickens together. I asked her about the little bantam girls and she said that it wasn't a problem. I'm curious if she's had experience with two completely different sized Bantams together or not. She always has wonderful advice anyway

Back
Top Bottom