Perfect...thank yall!
Is this the heat lamp you're talking about?
Screenshot_20200220-090339_Chrome.jpg

We'll see if I do enough babies in the future to justify the price of the heat plates...I'd rather get the brisnea or premier as they seem to have the best ratings and reliability.

Also, I got a dimmer cord to use this time instead of constantly adjusting the lamp height. I'm hoping that will work well :fl

I'm not ready to go all in on the heat plate because I'm not sure how much use it would get, and I'm assuming ducklings would need the biggest size.

They don't need a bigger size :) Mine get tons of use. But I also do hatch all the time.

I've seen the heat plates in use, and they are awesome. One of the ladies I go through uses them for anything from Serama to peafowl. I'd very much like to get 1 or 2 of them.

You should! They're awesome. The babies love them, they give them a place to hide and feel secure like they would running under a broody, and they use way less electricity and there's a much smaller risk of fire than from a heat lamp.

Yeah, I think mine would too. :oops:

Do they give off much ambient heat? I don't notice the lamp warming the room often, but if I turn the AC off and open the window, it does heat up in here some.

A little, but it's mostly a contact heat type of thing. It definitely doesn't put off as much as a heat lamp. They've never added any noticeable warmth to the rooms I run them in.

Yesterday I dragged my brooder tank out and got it nice and clean for the littles 😍

I've ordered an infrared heat lamp bulb to use this go round, hopefully it will help them SLEEP in the dark, and not party like rockstars all night long. Have yall used one before? Happy with it?

I'm not ready to go all in on the heat plate because I'm not sure how much use it would get, and I'm assuming ducklings would need the biggest size.

I don't know how much you incubate, but I have a couple of heat plates and love them. When I first started with chickens, I had a bulb explode on my chicks and kill one... so I decided never to use them again. I have a brinsea one, a couple by premier one and a knock off one from Amazon.... they all work just the same, so I wouldn't waste money on the name brand ones. They work great, though!

My ducklings loved laying on top of their heat plate It came with the plastic hood but I took it off when someone told me they love to lay on top and they do. View attachment 2031091

My chicks do the same thing. I'd rather they not because they poop all over the top, too. :barnie But I set my nipple chick waterers up there and it saves space, so I just deal with it and scrub them down occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom