Two part question

Matthew94

Hatching
Jul 4, 2017
I bought 2 ducklings from Rural King about a month and a half ago. My first question is this: My smaller one just died 2 days ago. I was wondering if I should get a duckling or an older one like my bigger duck is? I'm not sure which one would be best. My second question: both ducks seem to have a niacin deficiency from what I've read from other people in here. Before the little one died, her legs were at an X and my bigger ones legs are just slightly crossed. I've been giving them niacin in their water and Sav a chick electrolytes (switching off as not to overdose) for about 2 weeks now and it doesn't seem to be getting better. Is there anything else I can do? I am a first time duck owner, because my girlfriend wanted ducks, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry for your loss! The duckling still with you will definitely benefit from having a friend. Try to get one closest in size to the one you have now. Introduce them gradually after a quarantine period. Maybe have them where they can just hear each other during that time.

What is your source of the Niacin and how much do you put in what amount of water?

I'm going to tag some other members that know a lot more than I do about trying to resolve health issues/injuries in ducks.

@Ravynscroft
@WVduckchick
@Miss Lydia
@casportpony

Okay awesome! I first started by dissolving Niacin that I got from Wal-Mart, like someone on here had done. I did that for a week and then found the Sav a Chick packets of Electrolytes at Spare so I started dissolving them in the water instead and have done that for about a week and a half.
Welcome to BYC. Sorry for your loss! The duckling still with you will definitely benefit from having a friend. Try to get one closest in size to the one you have now. Introduce them gradually after a quarantine period. Maybe have them where they can just hear each other during that time.

What is your source of the Niacin and how much do you put in what amount of water?

I'm going to tag some other members that know a lot more than I do about trying to resolve health issues/injuries in ducks.

@Ravynscroft
@WVduckchick
@Miss Lydia
@casportpony

Okay awesome! I first started by dissolving Niacin that I got from Wal-Mart, like someone on here had done. I did that for a week and then found the Sav a Chick packets of Electrolytes at Spare so I started dissolving them in the water instead and have done that for about a week and a half.

Okay, um, bear with me. I'm trying to figure out the dosage that you've been giving. Maybe it's low. Can you take a picture of the Niacin and the label from the Sav a Chick and post it here?

So sorry for your loss. I don't think sav a chick has enough niacin in it. What else have they been eating? Chick starter crumbles? How does their poop look? Do they get to swim? Swimming is good therapy and strengthens their legs.

I can't take a picture at the moment but I can when I get home. The Niacin is a 500 mg time-release capsule. I only put about half of it in their water. They waste a lot of it so I was told half of the capsule would be fine. What do y'all suggest besides the savachick? Just continue doing the Niacin capsules?

So sorry for your loss. I don't think sav a chick has enough niacin in it. What else have they been eating? Chick starter crumbles? How does their poop look? Do they get to swim? Swimming is good therapy and strengthens their legs.
They are eating a non medicated chick starter from Tractor Supply. Their poop is a mixture of white and brown and most of the time slightly watery. Yes they have time to swim everyday.

I can't take a picture at the moment but I can when I get home. The Niacin is a 500 mg time-release capsule. I only put about half of it in their water. They waste a lot of it so I was told half of the capsule would be fine. What do y'all suggest besides the savachick? Just continue doing the Niacin capsules?

It's easier to make sure they get the proper amount if you use the flakes (see pic below...it's what I used). One tablespoon per cup of food. byc niacin source.jpg

Back
Top Bottom