Unfriendly Birds

memandthebirds

In the Brooder
May 25, 2018
I've owned my Pekin, Frand, for a little over a month now and she has yet to warm up to me. When I bought her she was a lot older than my Runner had been and clearly hadn't been handled much, but I thought that would go away.

Is there anything I can do to gain her trust or at least make it easier on me when handling her? I've tried constant handling and hand feeding an even demonstration of affection with my Runner thinking she would catch on, but she's still on the defensive side.

That's actually a really good idea since I've got several unread books piled up.

She's very anxious though, just sitting near her and maybe touching her gently a couple times makes her breathe heavy, sometimes open-mouthed. It makes me worry about her.

that's a pretty normal prey animal response, just give her time, the fact that she isn't scooting off is good.

I know I'm a fiddler and can't be in the duck pen five minutes with out poking, petting or snuggling someone if I don't watch myself but just sitting there and letting them see you and approach one their terms does a lot for them feeling comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom