LuckyMotherhen

Songster
5 Years
Dec 13, 2018
Ive got a 1 year old quail hen whose sister passed away recently, i was wondering if i could introduce a bantam chicken of some sort to her, she is rather kind she has never attacked any bird in her life and shes so lonely but i cannot get another quail and they’d probably attack her anyway...
Suggestions?ideas?

Chickens can carry diseases that they have a certain amount of immunity to, but quail and other game birds haven't been domesticated as long as chickens so don't have the same immunity, so there is a risk your quail could catch a disease from a chicken (Coryza is the nasty one). Not all chickens would tolerate quail and I also don't think a chicken would fill that buddy void for your quail hen either.

Quail can be funny creatures. It would be best to try and find another quail hen who is the same colour as the ones she's been used to (if you try to introduce a new colour she will likely attack it). If you just got one then they'd more or less be forced to be friends, but you'd still need to add a divider into the cage for at least a week and assess how they are behaving before letting them be in the same space. Once they were firm friends you could try adding another pair of hens perhaps, and even a male to keep the peace, so that when your older hen dies you don't end up in the same situation. Or you could get a group of young ones and keep the divider in until they all seem happy, as younger birds are more likely to respect your girls authority, and hopefully haven't bonded too strongly as a group to be aggressive towards her. Hopefully your girl plays ball and is accepting of new friends.

Back
Top Bottom