Breed/gender guesses for some 8-10 week olds?

Hannahnanigans

Chirping
Apr 6, 2018
Greenville, SC
Hello BYC! I've lurked around here for a bit and finally decided to join the fun. I've recently started in on my first flock and would love some breed/gender guesses.

Long post, lots of chickens. I appreciate any help :)

When we got them, the lady quickly told us their breeds, but I've forgotten some of the mixes. Our puppy also killed a few after getting into the brooder one day so I'm not sure which ones were left after that.

Here's a list of what I remember from when I got them, but I may be wrong or mixed them up.

1. I have no clue. She said something about lavender and most of her chicks were RIR mixes (but she did have Plymouth Rocks). This one was also given to us free as a rooster but it hasn't grown a comb or waddles yet? It has the personality of a roo though. Goes toe to toe with #2.
Bloodbeak 2_LI.jpg Bloodbeak 3_LI.jpg Bloodbeak_LI.jpg

2. RIR, I'm assuming roo.
Red_LI.jpg

3. This one is my baby and the one I'm really breed curious about. She was sold to me as a Blue Wyandotte but she's doesn't have any red coming in. Are there Blue Wyandottes that aren't red or does it not come in until later?
Bonnie 2_LI.jpg Bonnie 3_LI.jpg Mix Bonnie_LI.jpg

4. We lovingly refer to this one as Disco Chicken. I'm assuming roo, and RIR mix.
Disco side_LI.jpg

5. Golden Laced Wyandotte, supposed to be female. Looks exactly like #7 but with a darker forehead. Also see picture under #2.
Wyandotte 2_LI.jpg

6. Maran/Welsummer mix (confident) and looks like a roo, but the combs and waddles on this one and #9 aren't quite as big and red as the others (breed difference maybe?). Also, the light brown collar distinguishes this one from #9, so I don't know if that is a gender difference within the breeds?
Maran 2_LI.jpg Maran_LI.jpg

7. GLW, sold as a pullet.
See 2nd picture under #6.

8. RIR mix, female. This one confuses me. She looks more like a pigeon/peacock than a chicken. Her tail is long and shaped downward like a peacock.
Pigeon 2_LI.jpg Pigeon_LI.jpg

9. Maran/Welsummer mix like #6. Red/pink comb and waddles but they aren't quite as defined as the roos of other breeds.
Wellie_LI.jpg Wellie 2_LI.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of them all together if it helps with color distinctions and whatnot.
Mix all 2_LI (2).jpg Mix all_LI (2).jpg Mix BB and wellie_LI.jpg

Attachments

• Bonnie_LI.jpg
    Bonnie_LI.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Mix Maran and Red_LI.jpg
    Mix Maran and Red_LI.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
#1- orpington mix, most likely pullet
#2- RIR mix, cockerel
#3- orpington mix(?), most likely pullet
#4- columbian rock mix(?), cockerel
#5- wyandotte, most likely pullet
#6- marans mix, cockerel
#7- wyandotte, most likely pullet
#8- phoenix mix(?), most likely pullet
#9- marans mix, cockerel

RE: #3

there are just plain blue wyandottes. she has a straight comb, but if there are a lot of breeds just running together, there's likely some other stuff mixed in back along the way. blue is one of my favorite chicken colors. :)

1. EE mix Pullet
2. RIR Cockerel
3. Possible Andalusian. May be a Cockerel. See Below...
4. Same as you said
5. Same
6. Same Cockerel
7. Same
8. Phoenix or Cubulay something. Pullet
9. Cockerel. Same as you said.

Number 3:
Not a Wyandotte. It has a single comb.
Note: Blue Wyandottes are blue just like that. No red.
Blue Laced Red Wyandottes are the ones that are blue with red around the lacing, and so forth.

Back
Top Bottom