Existing Lean to Shed has metal siding and roofing

Parront

Crossing the Road
Jul 27, 2017
Prescott, AZ
What do you guys think? It is there, it is 8x24' covered in metal siding. Dark inside -- it was used to store firewood. It looks like chicken housing to me. Dirt floor. It is a lean-to built on the workshop of a house we are looking to buy. I think I want to remove the siding on the south side --8', and put large windows on the west side. Here is the drawing done by the VA appraiser, far better than I could do.
SCAN0010.JPG
The building in question is labeled "storage" and you can see the 8' leg in front. The 8' is all along the building. Here are some photos:
IMG_4081.JPG
IMG_4100.JPG

The first is the South side, thinking to take off all that siding and replace with Hardware cloth and a door. The next is the West side, needing to put some openings. The doors on the East Side, on the first photo, are by a light pole. That is where I want to put the nest boxes so the eggs are easy to collect. Thoughts?

Since it is in the city limits, I can only have hens. I will house ~12 Barred Hollands. I will have to provide rooster quarters, for a while, in hopes of sending off a couple of breeders to 4H kids. My thoughts are to keep the roos in the dark as long as possible! (Since crowing is a virtual death sentence). The far North end, about 8', sectioned off, and dark--10 hours of light for the guys ASAP. This is what I do for my parrots that I do not want to breed. "Light Neutering". (Also known as "keep 'em in the dark and feed them bullsh*t).

Sounds good to me!
Especially if you do this....
IMG_4091.JPG

The metal siding is not in the best shape, I might just replace these completely with outdoor plywood below and hardware cloth above on the rusty panels. You can see daylight through the old nail holes and rusted through places.
IMG_4090.JPG

The North wall has air flow through the rafters, I would like to block the light here while still allowing air flow -- the photo is pretty dark because of the light from under the eaves.

Plus would think you'd want tons of air flow in AZ due to the heat.
We are out of the desert here in Prescott. It rarely goes above 100, and always cools down nice at night even in the summer. It is a nice little patch of high altitude zone 7 -- people from Phoenix come here in the summer for vacation. Some older homes don't even have air conditioning!

Back
Top Bottom