I'm struggling with what feed to use this year. Hattie is essentially a rooster now. Do I switch to all flock? I wanted to start with at least 1 bag of layer but do I move on to all flock now? I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
Not meaning to paint the devil on the wall, but the issue with excess calcium is a long term health issue. Hattie is already an old lady.
That said, if it were me, I would probably mix it up a bit. Either alternating bags or literally mixing it so that the health of both layers and non-layers can be looked after.

How's about another flying chicken, and a larger lady getting some air no less.

View attachment 3766662View attachment 3766663View attachment 3766664
Epic!
Here is a small chicken (Piglet) coming in to land.
IMG_2878.jpeg

Not meaning to paint the devil on the wall, but the issue with excess calcium is a long term health issue. Hattie is already an old lady.
That said, if it were me, I would probably mix it up a bit. Either alternating bags or literally mixing it so that the health of both layers and non-layers can be looked after.
Or @BY Bob 2 feeders, 1 of each type of feed. Put the one you'd rather Hattie eat in her preferred eating (or where she does her midnight snacking)

I missed a day of giving Kasumi a calcium pill and she laid a soft shell egg. She refuses to eat the oyster shell every time I offer so I guess I just need to give her calcium pills in cheese every day. On the plus side all the girls love cheesy snacks.
It's nasty outside so here are fluffy butts from earlier this week.
20240306_150231.jpg
20240306_150014.jpg

Petunia

Well she is one expensive chook. But I am glad to did take her in, the Vet felt that she didn’t have an egg in there, she did an X-ray and she didn’t see anything, she thinks what we feel in her abdomen is her gizzard enlarged, she also ran a fecal as Petunia was so nice to give her a juicy sample.

She had Round Worms and Cecal Worms.

The Vet also discussed nutrition with me as she noted several of my hens lay soft or brittle eggs. She told me stop the table scraps, stop the Starter ration, separate the chicks from the Bigs (that likely won’t happen), and look into a different feed, also to put my calcium/oyster shells into a container for them to access rather then feeding it off the floor.

So I was sent home with Panocur wormer for the herd to treat worms; and some Sulpha antibiotics for Petunia. So we shall see what happens.
View attachment 3766000View attachment 3766002
It was a mad rush for me this morning. My apologies 😕

I've recently learned another way for the trackier , I hope that I have spelt this correctly. ...
That slippery elm in water along with honey helps dogs cats and humans. I know this helps with chest infections.

I'm now wondering if it would help chickens gizzards as well? 🤔 if so it would have to be in wet foods for the water intake.
Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom