Ok… BBB update, apparently Little Dude was not tasty, and so far this pair have not developed a taste for chicken! The little bugger was hiding in a meat tractor and decided he’s had enough socializing today and made a break for the trailer. This is the downside to 61 nearly identical birds mingling :he Just happy he’s not become dinner prematurely
So many to count. You need more fingers and toes. 😆

I'm so glad he is safe. :wee :wee :yesss:

We are not even 1 full month into laying yet, but yes, have definitely had soft shelled eggs (not even counting Naenae's experience yesterday).

I have a silly question about soft shell eggs... is the exterior color always a light brown if the layer otherwise produces non-white eggs?
So far, ours have been similar light brown color despite having girls that lay a variety of shades and colors. My non-experienced and very layman hypothesis is the outer shell layer is formed last and the soft shell eggs simply didn't form that outer most layer and the "inner shell" looks the same across my birds. 🤷‍♀️
I recall Shad once said the colour goes on last

No~one? I have to admit I find your tribe slightly weird. Everyone answers everyone here. Three or four tribes in 3 or 4 different locations all screaming their heads off. My lucky neighbours know every time someone lays. :lau
My tribe has its own rules and I'm starting to wonder if they haven't established their society after reading "Lord of the Flies" or something similar.

Someone’s comfortable!

D336EDC9-EF79-46DC-AEDE-A985E864451C.jpeg

Nope 🙁 I didn’t find the body, but as a few people said, the culprit would be back. Unfortunately this time I think it may be the endangered spotted variety instead of the invasive species. Edit to add:No,it’s a Barred, and there is not just one, but two… and it also sounds like there are chicks 😐😐😐

Barney threw up the alarm at 8:50 pm and I turned off dinner, hung up on DH and rushed outside. Rightie one of my red rocks was the only free range girl still out and she was frozen still about five feet in front of Barney’s tractor. Barney and girls are going nuts, I made a grab for Rightie and missed and she was off like a shot, and sheltered between the fence and our windows. I spent ten minutes trying to lure her out and about another ten throwing rocks at the owl after I ran out of nerf ammo. I lured her out into the bad rooster box with a broken egg, secured her and put her up for the night. No losses tonight, but I will be on guard until I know the Bad Big Bird has moved on. Good news, if it is the endangered kind, they are actually nocturnal so at least I won’t have to worry about afternoon attacks.

RIP little dude, I’m sure you were tasty.
I hope they didn’t build their nest on your property.

Exactly. I was going to respond with that as the reason why you cannot get them. Additionally, all my research was on US medicated feeds. I did not research Australian medicated feeds. They likely could be different.
The medicated feed I used was Amprolium based. When I checked with my Vet she said no problem if they were on medicated feed & being medicated @ the same time. It was a different medication, not that that probably makes much difference, & not being scientifically inclined I said, Oh, OK & did what she recommended. No~one was the worse for their dosage. At least I did know enough to ask as I'd read here not to give medicated feed while medicating for coccidiosis.

Back
Top Bottom