MJ has lovely pictures of trips to the vet which inspired me to feel confident when I took Maggie last year.
My experience with Maggie was less picturesque than MJ’s but it was amazingly easy.
I put wood shavings in a cat carrier and of course Maggie walked right in because she is nosy and needed to inspect the carrier. My issue was keeping the others out. I think MJ often takes a ‘companion chicken’ along but I took Maggie in her own.
Maggie settled into the wood shavings and was very interested in what was going on outside.
At the vet she hopped out and inspected his office.
Honestly it was a thousand times less stressful than taking one of the cats.
Good to know!
I will invest into a cat carrier (my dog crate is too big for one little bird)...or an adorable picnic basket 😍

Good to know!
I will invest into a cat carrier (my dog crate is too big for one little bird)...or an adorable picnic basket 😍
One last tip: sometimes it's hard to catch a chicken. They get scared and start running.

So, it's a lot easier to lift a hen gently off the roost after dark and place her gently into her box. She can sleep in the box without any worries. If you make the appointment first thing in the morning she won't have to be in the box for too long.

No worries. Sandy had a whole week of visiting the vet every morning for an injection, so she was very much an old hand in the car. I used to joke she was going to take her driver's test!
I'm hoping I can claim as your profile reads about my vet's brilliance too. Spoke with him yesterday and he understands we have pets, not production animals. He was honest with me that hormone implants may need to be an ongoing thing and not a 1x fix (and the lupron is 400-500$ for Rx alone :eek:) so I am trying to temper my overly optimistic hopes (and avoid a budget discussion with hubby, who before I heard the pricing agreed to let me do what I think is best 🤫)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom