She pecks and screams if I put my hand in with her but doesn't struggle if I lift her out.

She had a go at Penny, my Mum-in-law's little dog when I put her on the ground and the dog tried to sniff.

So yeah, she's pretty grumpy. 😅
Broodies usually are feisty and angry. 😆

@BY Bob.
What I would do now is make sure everyone has access to both coops and let them sort it out. I think your hands off approach regarding living arrangements, chicken politics etc has been the right one. Fact is, it all went South when you decided to get Phyllis and everything since then has been part of trying to sort the original problem out.
Let them be. Pick up the pieces when they've sorted it out themselves. Provide food annd shelter, mop up the blood, comfort the distressed and cross your fingers.
I have frankly been hoping that the "birds of a feather" would work this out for me. Maybe it will. I do appreciate your advice and you know I have always tried to let them be what they want to be. I just wonder if a little help isn't in order.

I am leaning towards moving Phyllis to the "The Hut" each night whether she roosts outside or in the big coop. (I am going to move her if she roosts outside anyway. It's not safe enough. ) I'm not sure I want to interfere any more than that. Perhaps I can help her to reset her home by doing that. If I could get her to do that she could avoid all of the roosting abuse. If she doesn't take to it in a week or so, I could always stop doing it. This feels like the least invasive step with the potential for the outcome I think would be best.

The Phyllistines view The Hut as their home and will go back there on their own. So opening things up should not be a problem.

The sky here is black and smoky.Lil is in her coop.there is a nasty smell from the neighbourhood labour shop.Please pray that this weather turns out OK.yesterday there was a hoarse violent storm and tree branches broke down and fell everywhere.I hope Era is safe.He’s still walking in the garden and it’s almost night.
That sounds rough. I'm sure that Era is safe. He's a big boy. He'll be back home soon.

Oh dear - poor Minnie is definitely off today. I got a poo sample and am desperately trying to find an avian vet for an appointment (the guy I saw with Maggie has no appointments but will call me).
I have found one vet who can see her on Monday but requires a $50 non-refundable deposit to make the appointment - I have never heard of such a thing!
I am thinking I will do that - even if it is too late for Minnie I could get a wellness check on someone else and probably good to get to know an avian vet within semi-reasonable driving distance.
Dropping poo off at my regular vet - maybe results will be back before Monday.
Why did I decide to keep chickens again? Why? They are so much stress and anxiety.
Minnie today.
View attachment 2867779View attachment 2867780
Can you post some video of what has you so concerned? She doesn't look to me like someone who won't make it to Monday in these pictures.

Also, how about a photo of the poo? You could use a spoiler if you'd like.

I have frankly been hoping that the "birds of a feather" would work this out for me. Maybe it will. I do appreciate your advice and you know I have always tried to let them be what they want to be. I just wonder if a little help isn't in order.

I am leaning towards moving Phyllis to the "The Hut" each night whether she roosts outside or in the big coop. (I am going to move her if she roosts outside anyway. It's not safe enough. ) I'm not sure I want to interfere any more than that. Perhaps I can help her to reset her home by doing that. If I could get her to do that she could avoid all of the roosting abuse. If she doesn't take to it in a week or so, I could always stop doing it. This feels like the least invasive step with the potential for the outcome I think would be best.

The Phyllistines view The Hut as their home and will go back there on their own. So opening things up should not be a problem.
My suggestion: open everything up to your whole tribes discretion. take careful watch, but let chickens be chickens! Just an idea :confused:

Can you post some video of what has you so concerned? She doesn't look to me like someone who won't make it to Monday in these pictures.

Also, how about a photo of the poo? You could use a spoiler if you'd like.
She doesn't look like she is on her last legs but they can go down hill fast so I am mentally prepared.
Her poo is nothing to look at - water with some urates.
What has me more concerned is she keeps needing to have a rest - whereas normally I think she is busy busy. Also she is eating - but not like the ravenous dinosaur that they normally are. Mostly my chickens try to give the impression that I starve them and fall on any food like they have no idea where their next meal might come from - she is definitely eating but 'delicately'.
I examined her last night and didn't find anything amiss and will do so again during the day today and tonight.
I have dropped off the poo at my local vet and have an appointment with an avian vet on Monday.
I will take some video of how she is behaving during the day.

She doesn't look like she is on her last legs but they can go down hill fast so I am mentally prepared.
Her poo is nothing to look at - water with some urates.
What has me more concerned is she keeps needing to have a rest - whereas normally I think she is busy busy. Also she is eating - but not like the ravenous dinosaur that they normally are. Mostly my chickens try to give the impression that I starve them and fall on any food like they have no idea where their next meal might come from - she is definitely eating but 'delicately'.
I examined her last night and didn't find anything amiss and will do so again during the day today and tonight.
I have dropped off the poo at my local vet and have an appointment with an avian vet on Monday.
I will take some video of how she is behaving during the day.
There is time to get this sorted. She is a mature hen. You will be able to get her squared away in plenty of time. Try not to worry too much.

Videos of the Phyllistines

I have been out sitting in the run with the Phyllistines this morning. They have been spending a lot of time on the porch and I have two videos of them for you.

The first is of Sylvie helping Legertha with her new feather shafts on her head. A nice little grooming session.

The second involves some spastic running about with them charging at the camera.

And They Are Out!

Sylvie leads them out the big door.
20211016_120547.jpg

Back
Top Bottom