And to think, the only reason I had today off was I am closing on my house, but didn't know what time it would be until Friday.

Hubby & I haven't been married too long (9 years). I'm finally selling my house. Thank goodness, I hated being a landlord, particularly since it is an hour away, and we could use the money to fix up 'our' house! ....and maybe;) use some of it to make improvements to my chicken housing!!!! ;)
Congratulations! 🥳🍾🥂🎊🎉

So, yes, Cleo's catch was a young rabbit, that I managed to rescue from her. (Trust me, no easy feat as she takes off if she thinks you are going to steal her catch!) I think she will be okay; she has some puncture wounds from Cleo that I've tried to clean. So, as long as she doesn't die from the stress (according to my sister who raised rabbits for a while as an adult, that is a thing with them!), nor the wounds get infected, she will be fine.

And the marauder was an opossum, as you can tell by the open mouth/bared teeth, s/he was NOT happy.

I took some more 'two-fer' just to pay my taxes:

Two of my 'fake' BRs, with a smidgen of my 'real' BR roo. Unfortunately, he has been a bit too attentive to the girls, as you can see. Also a bit of Goldie under the leaves.View attachment 3175063

My two older black girls. Raven (one with a somewhat flopped comb - in the back) is maransX lav. orp, the other girl is BRx??. Essentially a barnyard mix.
View attachment 3175065

And, last but not least, my cuckoo marans X EE, & BR X EE.
View attachment 3175066
I know they are good at eating nasties but I really am not in love with opossums!

And to think, the only reason I had today off was I am closing on my house, but didn't know what time it would be until Friday.

Hubby & I haven't been married too long (9 years). I'm finally selling my house. Thank goodness, I hated being a landlord, particularly since it is an hour away, and we could use the money to fix up 'our' house! ....and maybe;) use some of it to make improvements to my chicken housing!!!! ;)
Congratulations !

I am a proponent of the dry ice method for rat removal. If you know where they are, under the floor in your case, find their entrances close them all in but one, pile dry ice over the remaining opening and then cover the dry ice. No more rats. The CO2 sinks down displacing the O2 and they go to sleep never to reawaken.
Do you think that would work with ground hogs? I am inundated with them.

I know they are good at eating nasties but I really am not in love with opossums!
My husband was given a pear tree a few years back that he planted (at 'his house') It had it's first crop of fruit - 5 pears...and he checked on them every day waiting for them to be ripe. One day he came back into the house and said '1 or 2 good, sunny days and they'll be ready!" He was so excited! The next morning they were ALL gone. Pretty sure it was an opossum that ate them all over night! He used to think they looked cute, in a fugly sort of way. He hates them now.

My husband was given a pear tree a few years back that he planted (at 'his house') It had it's first crop of fruit - 5 pears...and he checked on them every day waiting for them to be ripe. One day he came back into the house and said '1 or 2 good, sunny days and they'll be ready!" He was so excited! The next morning they were ALL gone. Pretty sure it was an opossum that ate them all over night! He used to think they looked cute, in a fugly sort of way. He hates them now.
Oh I really know about that!
I play ‘chicken’ with the raccoons every year around my peaches.
I look every day and say ‘one more day’ and they look every night and say ‘one more night’. Whoever blinks first loses the whole crop.
The last couple of years I won because I picked just a bit too early and ripened them on the kitchen counter. My guess is the raccoons will have learned from that and this year will raid early too!
And talking of chicken, today is very humid and the Roadrunners have to put in extra work so their feathers don’t mess up.
Another 2fer Tuesday - it is hard work avoiding a bad hair day.

97077A0C-931E-4CCB-A6FB-448C02CEAA6D.jpeg

Correct. Sorry, didn't mean to be so cryptic. Also, most heritage BR girls have smaller combs. They were developed in NE, after all, with cold winters. I'll see if I have any pics that show the difference...not sure if I have a good head shot of one of the heritage girls....I'll edit this post if I do have suitable pics.

Edited: okay, This is the best I can do. The first picture is one of the heritage girls, the other 2 are of production BR. Notice how much bigger their combs are than the heritage girl. Huge difference.
View attachment 3173566View attachment 3173567View attachment 3173579
I guessed the one on the right was heritage only because the feather barring and her shape reminded me of a Dominique. Which I know nothing about except that it is a heritage breed! 🤣

Back
Top Bottom