The Original Ladies Enjoying the Snow

Many of you may be wondering how bad winter actually is here as I have not been posting many pictures of snow etc. While the flock is certainly enjoying this year's warmth. I found some photos of our original 2 hens, Dolly and Trisha enjoying some free range on a typical February 13th. All of my leghorns loved walking around on the snow. I think it is the camouflage. ;)

View attachment 2025384
View attachment 2025385
View attachment 2025386

I've told the stories but for those that did not go back to the beginning, We lost Dolly to a hawk. I actually caught the hawk eating her. Trisha would pass due to complications from a cloacal prolapse.

Aren't they beautiful?! I love how their tails look like dove's tails.

Thank you for sharing Bob. 🥰

Here is a Leghorn fix for you taken less than 5 minutes ago

IMG20200214161507.jpg

and also a RIR fix because I got a nice one of Deana 😄

IMG20200214161145.jpg

aaand another
IMG20200214160940.jpg

Well, I’m sorry for your loss, even though it was three yesrs ago. :hugs

Mine was 2 1/2 years ago. Warni g, this will get a bit sad and graphic, so read no further if that bothers you. We were having record breaking temps Labor Day weekend. I was dipping the girls one by one into a bucket to cool them off. Buttercup liked it so much, she asked for a second turn! Well, at the time, I was unaware you do not wet a sick bird and Rusty was unwell. She was just a few days inti her second hormone implant and was pretty ill, more-so than I realized (vet should have offered euthanasia instead of a second implant, but I didn’t know any better). Anyway, the dip killed her. When I set her down after the dip, she started screaming (like they do when clearing their throats.) She did it several times, and the flock started closing in on her; I had to shoo them away. Then she stumbled and fell slowly down, closing her eyes. I picked her up as she died. It was very traumatic, and I was a mess. I was responsible and I felt HORRIBLE. Her prognosis was guarded when she first got EYP and she never got her full strength back, despite a few more good months, so she was going to go eventually. I just did not intend for it to end like that.

Can I ask why you don’t wet a sick bird? Chickie’s got a poopy butt and I want to bath her, but I don’t want to in case she’s not completely well. She’s got her implant in, there doesn’t seem to be any coccidiosis or worms but she’s moulting. She‘s her usual chatty self and seems to be eating normally but will still stick her head under her wing for a full-on sleep on the back step! I sprayed their house with mite spray and dusted their bed, but she seems to be ok.

Up and at You

I caught some video of Phyllis being clever again. It is also a pretty good example of contrafreeloading behavior. In this instance Phyllis figured out there was some feed spilled on top of a bucket in the run. So up she went to get away from the other 2 and eat.

If you watch, she will scratch at the bucket while eating. That is contrafreeloading behavior. Chickens prefer to work for their food. That is why you will see them scratch while standing at a feeder. Phyllis clearly does not need to scratch in order to find the food. It is sitting right there.

Just for kicks I caught this video of Hattie coming right at a camera this morning. Look Out! She is coming for you. :eek:

I caught some video of Phyllis being clever again. It is also a pretty good example of contrafreeloading behavior.

I like the 'contrafreeloading' idea. One thing that puzzles me is that people say they use scratch grains 'to encourage their chickens to scratch'. I don't get that at all. Mine scratch at anything all the time. Looks like Phyllis is that way inclined too. So do some chickens not scratch?

I like the 'contrafreeloading' idea. One thing that puzzles me is that people say they use scratch grains 'to encourage their chickens to scratch'. I don't get that at all. Mine scratch at anything all the time. Looks like Phyllis is that way inclined too. So do some chickens not scratch?

I have never met a chicken that didn't scratch. Scratch grains give them something for which to scratch. Essentially a reward for their normal behaviour.

Forget scratching, mine dig holes! They must be looking for worms. Or as we say here, trying to get to China! :gig

Can I ask why you don’t wet a sick bird? Chickie’s got a poopy butt and I want to bath her, but I don’t want to in case she’s not completely well. She’s got her implant in, there doesn’t seem to be any coccidiosis or worms but she’s moulting. She‘s her usual chatty self and seems to be eating normally but will still stick her head under her wing for a full-on sleep on the back step! I sprayed their house with mite spray and dusted their bed, but she seems to be ok.
It can push them over the edge. I think you could rinse her back end. I’ve had luck using a squeeze bottle with warm water and just a drop of dish soap ti clean a poopy bum without fully wetting the bird. How is the weather? Another thing I’ve done with a poopy bum is just (carefully) cut most of the poop out with scissors.

Our cats are indoor girls, except occasionally when they come out with one of the humans.

Our Cornish Rex, Lacey, has been out while the chooks were free ranging and was cautiously curious. She didn't get too close as the chooks are mostly bigger than her. :lol:

The dogs however have been put in their place by Pepper, the youngest chook. She has nipped their noses and tails and flown at them if they get too close.

I need pictures of dear Lacey! I love Cornish Rex kitties!!

Back
Top Bottom