Oh I see! I agree it's definitely best to let them decide for themselves than introduce stress, and if the prefab can encourage that outcome, it's all for the better.
And yet you know most of my new girls have been roosting on the floor of the little coop or a nesting box & all got on a roost when I moved them last night. I'm pretty blind & have had a couple of bad falls recently so I was taking no chances & probably had more light from my phone than I should have had because everyone hoped down off the roost to start with but everyone ended up on it so given a little more space they all did what was required of them with no interference from me.

And yet you know most of my new girls have been roosting on the floor of the little coop or a nesting box & all got on a roost when I moved them last night. I'm pretty blind & have had a couple of bad falls recently so I was taking no chances & probably had more light from my phone than I should have had because everyone hoped down off the roost to start with but everyone ended up on it so given a little more space they all did what was required of them with no interference from me.
That's ideal. Do you think space is the most important factor?

That's ideal. Do you think space is the most important factor?
Space seems to solve a lot of issues.

There was a study done some time ago on high density living. The less space the species had the more violence occurred. I'm sorry, MJ, I read this years ago & no longer have any idea on the study, which species or who did it, but I remembered it because of inner city violence @ the time & thought then, as I think now, more space would solve a lot of these issues. Overcrowding is never good for any species.

OH what a lovey kitty!!! She is stunning!!

When I hit the lotto (or a rich relative dies LOL) I'm taking a month long tour of Oz and I'm going to visit all my wonderful friends from this site and their kitties and chickens!!!
Do you like wine? We make lots and lots of really good wine in South Australia 🍷 and beaches? We've got lovely beaches. Want to cuddle a koala? Can do. Want to feed a wallaby? No problem, too easy.

And the chickens of course!

There was a study done some time ago on high density living. The less space the species had the more violence occurred. I'm sorry, MJ, I read this years ago & no longer have any idea on the study, which species or who did it, but I remembered it because of inner city violence @ the time & thought then, as I think now, more space would solve a lot of these issues. Overcrowding is never good for any species.
I know how much I need a bit of space.

I'm still very inexperienced, it's only been 18 months of keeping chickens, but the more space I provide, the kinder the hens are to each other. I think it matters more than feeding stations or roosts.

OH what a lovey kitty!!! She is stunning!!

When I hit the lotto (or a rich relative dies LOL) I'm taking a month long tour of Oz and I'm going to visit all my wonderful friends from this site and their kitties and chickens!!!

Wallaby wonders what time's lunch.

IMG_20200219_090748.jpg

My wife let her in the other day, closed the door, and walked away.

I came by and had to ask how long she had been in the house! My wife did not know! 5 or 10 minutes. "I forgot she was there. She's very quiet "

:he

How many meal worms did she eat! :eek:
Best get your carpet up and some tiles down then.:p:D

I'm still very inexperienced, it's only been 18 months of keeping chickens, but the more space I provide, the kinder the hens are to each other. I think it matters more than feeding stations or roosts.
Yep. I think so. I don't have much more experience than you do so I go a lot on what I like myself. I like lots of space. It stops me people eating! :oops::lau

Back
Top Bottom