Moon and Treacle arrived again today; Fat Bird was in the nest box having thrown Mel and Hurry out. It's a bit of Fat Birds unfathomable behaviour. Fat Bird will visit the various nests sites of her tribes hens and she throws them out. To some she will do this repeatedly. Needless to say I have my theories.
Before Fat Birds arrival.
View attachment 2037822

Fat Bird.
View attachment 2037823

There was no way Moon was going to get into that nest box while Fat Bird was in it; I mean one just doesn't.
Moon went to investigate the maternity unit. Tackle had laid an egg in there earlier and I had two other eggs already in place as encouragement.
Moon had just got settled when Fat Bird turned up, with Cillin and threw her out. Fat Bird didn't sit in the maternity unit; she just went in and evicted Moon.View attachment 2037825
I went to feed the others their mid day feed and when I came back Moon was back in the maternity unit and Treacle was keeping guard.
View attachment 2037826

They were there for a while and when I next saw them they were eating together. I also saw Moon crouch for Treacle.
View attachment 2037827

On the other hand, Tap, Moons sister is not really getting the idea. I expect a couple of dropped eggs from pullets and I found Taps egg under the hay rack so she isn't even laying in the nest. That's at least five days now. The nest site she has chosen is not safe; not from predators and not structurally stable.
View attachment 2037828

I love your stories with pictures. Didn’t you say Moon and Treacle were related? 😮

Chickie’s very under the weather today. :hitNot interested in eating and just standing or sitting around. I just spoke to my vet and she said the pills might be making her nauseous, so to drop back to once a day. I’m going to make up some baby bird food and try syringing it down her throat.
How's Chickie today Lozzy?

Good morning ladies - come look at the view!

Things are definitely better this morning. Big East-facing windows meant they were up bright and early and seem happy in the Palace coop. I went and had my breakfast sitting in with them and Elizabeth even laid an egg in a nest box while I was there. Watching her made me realize I need to tweak the nest box set-up a bit but not a big deal. Hope tonight is a bit less stressful. I plan to sit in the coop and put them on the roost again if necessary. View attachment 2037620
It is beautiful. I bet it makes your chooks very happy.

Good morning ladies - come look at the view!

Things are definitely better this morning. Big East-facing windows meant they were up bright and early and seem happy in the Palace coop. I went and had my breakfast sitting in with them and Elizabeth even laid an egg in a nest box while I was there. Watching her made me realize I need to tweak the nest box set-up a bit but not a big deal. Hope tonight is a bit less stressful. I plan to sit in the coop and put them on the roost again if necessary. View attachment 2037620
It's a gorgeous chicken palace. I tweak the henhouse all the time :D for me, it's part of the fun.

Today I'm installing another feed dispenser.

Thank you both - I know, it is completely over the top but I am having so much fun with it that I have stopped being embarrassed about it!
This weekend I will try and put together a 'Palace tour' - it really is still very unfinished, we just did a big push on the coop interior because of the weather.
I think this weekend I will make some minor improvements to the nest box area and maybe make another ladder so they can go to the upper nest boxes and then I need to think about decorations! I am going to steal shamelessly from Fluffy Butt Acres and make some signs with the names of each resident (and one RIP for Scary).
And yes, I need more Princesses. In theory the Palace is sized for 25 but that would be crowded so I am thinking of working my way up to maybe 8.
Such a light and airy palace. Have you a comfy chair in there?

I’m really looking forward to the tour!

Also, beware the chicken maths,:lol:

How's Chickie today Lozzy?

She was wandering around chatting, like she does, pecking at the grass but I don’t know if she was actually eating it. I got 12mls of baby food into her and she fought me every squirt. I won’t see her again until tomorrow afternoon, my in-laws will give her her pill in the morning but won’t be force-feeding her. I’ll give her some more when I see her again.

Back
Top Bottom