There is a reason I didn't explain our whole decision process on this thread. It's not an ER thread. I was just coming in for moral support. So, you will just have to trust me to take care of my chickens the way it works in my world. It is very different from yours. :) I need encouragement more than anything, and I don't mean encouragement to euthanize her, :( although I might get there. It needs to be when I think there is nothing more I can do for her.
That's okay Valerie. I wasn't having a dig at you.:hugs
Lots of others have gone to extreme measures to try and save their hens on these threads.
As you write, my keeping circumstances are different. I've been very fortunate in not having to deal with many sick chickens. I get injuries by the shed load and I'm getting pretty good with dealing with them now.
You might find parts of this thread encouraging.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-it-better-to-let-them-die.1268732/

There is a reason I didn't explain our whole decision process on this thread. It's not an ER thread. I was just coming in for moral support. So, you will just have to trust me to take care of my chickens the way it works in my world. It is very different from yours. :) I need encouragement more than anything, and I don't mean encouragement to euthanize her, :( although I might get there. It needs to be when I think there is nothing more I can do for her.
You have our support to do what you know is best for your chicken. Always difficult. But we all understand. :hugs :hugs

It's ok. Shad does get it too & we are all here for you. :hugsIt is always hard when a chicken is dying & we all do it differently. I let Tuppence go in her own time, choosing not to stress her further by travelling hours to a vet because I was pretty sure there was nothing a vet could do anyway, & just making sure she was comfy & @ peace. She wasn't in pain though, just fading away. There was no condemnation from anyone on these threads though I know others would simply have ended her life. Dying is a process & I'm not necessarily an advocate of a quick termination, which is always violent. Sometimes the journey together is the point. Tuppence & I had a wonderful last day together. I know she enjoyed her time with me in the big coop & her passing was peaceful. You do what is best for you & your chook.
Thanks. That's the thing. If I'm not able to take her life myself, how can I ask someone who doesn't know her like I do to do it? That would make it worse for her. I watched Ethel die for a week after the eagle attack, and I don't think I would do it differently if I had it to do over, although I have said I would.

These decisions are so hard. :( She is up on her feet this afternoon. 🙏

That's okay Valerie. I wasn't having a dig at you.:hugs
Lots of others have gone to extreme measures to try and save their hens on these threads.
As you write, my keeping circumstances are different. I've been very fortunate in not having to deal with many sick chickens. I get injuries by the shed load and I'm getting pretty good with dealing with them now.
You might find parts of this thread encouraging.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-it-better-to-let-them-die.1268732/
I'm a little afraid to go to the thread. I'm already in tears over her. This is my first experience with illness. It was Queen Victoria first, and she is doing so well now. I'm still hoping that for Queen Bee.

Terrible, wet and rainy winter here. These two were sure they could swim and wouldn't stay in. Next year I'll have a better coop and run to keep them dry and they'll have to stay put when it's this wet. I guess we are building it one year too late. :th

Thanks. That's the thing. If I'm not able to take her life myself, how can I ask someone who doesn't know her like I do to do it? That would make it worse for her. I watched Ethel die for a week after the eagle attack, and I don't think I would do it differently if I had it to do over, although I have said I would.

These decisions are so hard. :( She is up on her feet this afternoon. 🙏
Live long enough & everything dies on you. Learning to navigate the process is part of life & none of us find it easy. How we deal with it is partly determined by our own natures. I tend to like things to evolve as naturally as possible & interfere as little as possible. That holds true for birthing & dying as well as living. Animals are much better at coping with their death than we are ~ or @ least, that's my perception, & I know with cats they are ok about taking their time about it.

It's ok. Shad does get it too & we are all here for you. :hugsIt is always hard when a chicken is dying & we all do it differently. I let Tuppence go in her own time, choosing not to stress her further by travelling hours to a vet because I was pretty sure there was nothing a vet could do anyway, & just making sure she was comfy & @ peace. She wasn't in pain though, just fading away. There was no condemnation from anyone on these threads though I know others would simply have ended her life. Dying is a process & I'm not necessarily an advocate of a quick termination, which is always violent. Sometimes the journey together is the point. Tuppence & I had a wonderful last day together. I know she enjoyed her time with me in the big coop & her passing was peaceful. You do what is best for you & your chook.
Well said.

Live long enough & everything dies on you. Learning to navigate the process is part of life & none of us find it easy. How we deal with it is partly determined by our own natures. I tend to like things to evolve as naturally as possible & interfere as little as possible. That holds true for birthing & dying as well as living. Animals are much better at coping with their death than we are ~ or @ least, that's my perception, & I know with cats they are ok about taking their time about it.
Oh my goodness. I know all about loss. I lost my only child. It is actually why it's so hard for me to watch her die.

Okay. You are all so kind and trying to be helpful. It's just not helping, so I'm going to just go sit with my sick girl for a while.

:frow Thanks everyone for the hugs!!! I needed that.

Back
Top Bottom