There is One Hen Left

I left her for last on purpose. The queen of being phophotogenic. The lady who loves to pose. Miss elegant herself. Her poofiness.

Phyllis
View attachment 2230856

View attachment 2230857

View attachment 2230859

The last one was so close to perfect. I just missed getting her full name in the photo. I actually totally missed that I could have framed that in. 😕
I would do a little photo shop on that last one to get her name in. Nobody will tell, I promise!

Take young Lock here. She's a hen. Give her a physical and she ticks all the female boxes.
Lock on the other hand thinks she's a rooster. She has never laid an egg, she treats the other hens like a rooster in many ways. Basically Lock has a sex and a gender identity. In Locks case they don't match. Some of the behaviour I've seen from lock has been truly astounding and often heartbreaking in a nice way. Her relationship with Bracket is something to behold.
Lock and Mag are best mates. Mag never tries to mate with Lock and he watches over her.
At food time, Mag being the junior rooster lets the hens and Punch eat first and stands back with Lock. They tend to eat together. Lock, like the roosters has a noticeably different view of me to the hens.
Try to persuade most chicken keepers that chickens have a gender that can over ride their sex is an uphill struggle. Mention that chickens are more tolerant of these gender differences than humans and you'll have people throwing rocks at you.
Lock is accepted in Tribe 2 as she is. There has never been a problem. The roosters did at one point try to mate with her. They have all stopped trying now.
Usually if a junior hen tries to eat while Punch is eating he'll tell them off. He doesn't if it's Lock.
View attachment 2230213

What an amazing little chicken! Even more amazing is the way you have been able to observe this behavior.

I can't wait to hear them. 🤣
I would have tried to make a video this morning, but one of Gracie's four babies was found dead :( no idea how or why, it was just fine yesterday, no marks, no symptoms of anything on any of them. Ugh, just one of those things that happens with chicks I guess, but why did it have to be the only frizzled chick out of the bunch?! Anyway, so I had to go bury it, so no video of a crow-off today, but I'll get one eventually. I'm gonna be paranoid about the chicks for a week now.

Last edited:
More Photos from the Weekend

It was dangerously hot and Hattie and Aurora took the worst of it being the biggest girls. I actually feel like Aurora has way more feathers than anyone else being fluffier. That has to be a drawback for them. I was actually so worried about Aurora at one point on Saturday I almost brought her inside for the night.

Because they were not out and about I do not have a lot of photos of them both. Here are their best.

Aurora
View attachment 2230842

Hattie
View attachment 2230843
View attachment 2230844
View attachment 2230848

I miss having lovely smooth girls. Stanley makes them all look like they were rode hard and put away wet!! :lau :lau :lau

I would have tried to make a video this morning, but one of Gracie's four babies was found dead :( no idea how or why, it was just fine yesterday, no marks, no symptoms of anything on any of them. Ugh, just one of those things that happens with chicks I guess, but why did it have to be the only frizzled chick out of the bunch?! Anyway, so I had to go bury it, so no video of a crow-off today, but I'll get one eventually. I'm gonna be paranoid about the chicks for a week now.
I'm so sorry. I understand the pain of the loss of a chick. It's tough. :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom