I believe Minnie is Minnie. The color of her hackles make them look like they are more pointed then they are. Plus the saddle feathers are round as well.ā¤
I agree. After a close up look the feathers look pointy because of the coloring not their shape. I would like to see a photo of both their combs together but I'm not seeing a rooster in feathers or carriage.

Thank you. šŸ„°
I obviously have no clue what I am looking at, but I am happy that Minnie is Minnie and just an adventurous young lady wearing a silly hat.
I am enjoying this stage of their development a lot. They get up to all sorts of antics and are lightening fast. I gave them the rest of the shrimp tails from the weekend and Minnie made off with one right under the beaks of Diana and Elizabeth. Cheeky!
I love the cheekiness stage. When they are zipping around and thriving. So much fun. :love

It was too Close

As I sat there holding him in the hot sun, wrapped in a warm towel on one side and against my chest on the other side I was sure he was going to close his eyes and not open them again. He was shaking so violently. No one else was here to help me. Maybe if Mrs BY Bob had been home she could have gotten the blow drier or made hot water to feed him or dunk him in, or warmed towels in the drier for me to use, all to help warm him. I had nothing but me and the sun to save him.

I kept rubbing him and talking to him as his eyes closed. Told him to stay with me.

After a while his sister came over to check on him. She peeped for him, he weakly tried to answer her. She was confused but finally saw him, then left and rejoined the flock.

View attachment 2285213

Here he is in my lap.
View attachment 2285215View attachment 2285216

After a while the shivering eased a little and he stoop up. Relief flooded through me. I knew he would make it now.

He eventually crawled up onto my shoulder and sat down.
View attachment 2285222View attachment 2285223View attachment 2285224

He nestled on my shoulder for a long while. That's when Mrs BY Bob got home. Always fashionably late that one.

Eventually Ned would move up to the back of the chair and preen in the sun.
View attachment 2285230
I'm so glad he's ok! He's such a pretty little rooster:love

A New Morning Routine

Everyone here probably thinks that I am not overly fond of Sansa. I am always talking about how she is pecking everyone else and mean to my clear favorites Sydney and Phyllis. (I should run a post and have you rank my flock in order of my favorites as you perceive them and see how they match to my own)

The walnuts have started something special between Sansa and me. Most but not every morning, I stick a couple of walnuts in my pocket. I go out and sit in my chair under the magnolia tree and have my morning coffee with the flock like always.

I'll be out there 20 minutes or so and the flock will be done saying hello and will go on with their business (no more coffee clatch šŸ˜”). Once everyone has dispersed, Sansa will come over and hang out for a little bit under my side table. You know the one that had the petunias on when Lucky was a wee lass.

She will then peck my pocket for a walnut. Because of where she is at, the rest of the flock does not realize she is getting a treat and no one comes by to steal it from her. I'm talking about you Aurora. Its just Sansa, me, and the walnut. šŸ„°

Sansa looking up from under the table
20200825_084341.jpg

And for those who forget, Sansa is the the last hen to rest on me on their own.

20200825_085421.jpg

You rehomed him? It looks like I have some catching up to do...

Never mind, I just found it.
Yes, I can't keep a rooster here but he has gone to an excellent home. In fact they may be more accepted there than here with their Mom. I think their Dad runs a much friendlier flock than Lilly does.

A New Morning Routine

Everyone here probably thinks that I am not overly fond of Sansa. I am always talking about how she is pecking everyone else and mean to my clear favorites Sydney and Phyllis. (I should run a post and have you rank my flock in order of my favorites as you perceive them and see how they match to my own)

The walnuts have started something special between Sansa and me. Most but not every morning, I stick a couple of walnuts in my pocket. I go out and sit in my chair under the magnolia tree and have my morning coffee with the flock like always.

I'll be out there 20 minutes or so and the flock will be done saying hello and will go on with their business (no more coffee clatch šŸ˜”). Once everyone has dispersed, Sansa will come over and hang out for a little bit under my side table. You know the one that had the petunias on when Lucky was a wee lass.

She will then peck my pocket for a walnut. Because of where she is at, the rest of the flock does not realize she is getting a treat and no one comes by to steal it from her. I'm talking about you Aurora. Its just Sansa, me, and the walnut. šŸ„°

Sansa looking up from under the table
View attachment 2305145

And for those who forget, Sansa is the the last hen to rest on me on their own.

View attachment 2305146
Awwww! I hope this is the start of a whole new phase of your relationship with her. She may have a mean-streak but she is beautiful!
And yes, you absolutely have a thing for white chickens!

I agree. After a close up look the feathers look pointy because of the coloring not their shape. I would like to see a photo of both their combs together but I'm not seeing a rooster in feathers or carriage.
Thank you. I will try and get a picture of their combs side by side. It is hard because I swear they donā€™t sit still for more than a moment which is why I grabbed the chance of Minnie posing!
I thought her carriage looked like a Minnie, but then I thought maybe I was being overly anthropomorphic - to me she looks so much like a ā€˜proper young ladyā€™ in her little black hat.

Back
Top Bottom