Here they are.
I’ll go pecking-order wise.
Melody, the fat sassy mean BO.View attachment 2344188View attachment 2344189
Pepper, one of the Dominique twins:View attachment 2344190
Salt, the other twin:View attachment 2344192
June Bug. An EE.View attachment 2344204View attachment 2344218
Nutmeg, a SS. View attachment 2344220
And Vanilla, the sweetie. No eggs yet. EE.View attachment 2344221
You have a beatiful flock and great names! Thanks for sharing with us.

Maggie
I am very dispirited about Maggie's prospects. I know I shouldn't get out ahead of myself but everything I have read basically says that what she has is a death sentence.
If she were obviously in pain or having a miserable life I would know what to do, but she is behaving just like normal - chasing the young ladies, rushing around the Palace, dust bathing and chatting away to me.
She sees the vet tomorrow and I am guessing the vet is going to offer to put her to sleep. I am not experienced enough with chickens to have good instincts about how she is feeling.
I have had many cats for many decades and feel I understand when they are miserable.
Is Maggie miserable? Or maybe she is fine now but will suddenly be in terrible pain, and then will I regret if I didn't act now? I feel like preventing suffering is my number one obligation to her.
Sorry - I know I should wait until I see the vet and listen to the options and take a calm decision but I am mentally preparing myself for the worst.
Thank you for hearing me out.
I know how easy it is to let your mind spiral. I have experience with exactly this thing.

Let me give you confidence that she is not in pain. She may not even know she is sick. The infection would not be severe enough for her to even note it.

Even if the doctor offers to put her down you don't have to accept that offer tomorrow. If it really is salpingitis, I know what to tell you to look for. I can tell you what the indication of suffering is. I promise you it is not immediate.

In Australia, they will do surgery to remove the reproductive tract. I have heard of hens getting implants to stop the laying process. Maybe one of these options will be available.

Try to stay relaxed. She will feel your tension and anxiety and react herself. Until you know, it's not worth putting additional stress on yourself and her.

Please you are not alone. We are here. Let the news come to you don't try and anticipate it. Instead enjoy some time with all of them. Your journey together should not be ending tomorrow.
:hugs :hugs:hugs

Hmmm it must ultimately be your choice Bob, but I've got a suggestion. Imagine how amazing it would be to hatch your own little white legbars next time Sydney is available. Coffee clatch with little white babies sitting on cushions.

Also, I think you should triple-check the blue egg expectation because I once read it's only the cream crested legbars who lay blue, the other legbars lay brown. Now, full disclosure, I read it on the internet so there's no way of knowing whether it's true or not.
Good advice. Something to consider. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom