Cows are still physically here, but there was a big blow out summer of 2019. After the best year/condition of a decade thanks to my management techniques, I should add. I no longer am caring for them. This has resulted in some severe issues, ultimately leading to the culling of two yearlings due to horrendous weaning practices. Without a vehicle I am not even able to sneak them feed. They don’t put any care into the cows until they absolutely have to, and the husbandry under the “Aunts” is shameful and disgusting at best.
This is hard to hear. I'm sure it was and remains upsetting for you. :hugs :hugs

I think Brahmas are lovely looking but they are just too big and slow to do well here free ranging. Unfortunately the Goshawk here doesn't care how big you are.
That is true. Speed is important when dodging hawks and a lot of other predators.

I wonder about our big red tail hawks. I still think they prefer smaller targets. Not that they wouldn't kill a chicken, they have. I just think the cover that my yard provides along the availability of other smaller food sources has worked to my benefit most of the time. I do really worry about Phyllis though. She is fully reliant on the rest of the flock for safety.

It gets so windy and the snow is so deep here in the winter that I got up this morning and made some seasonal walls for the pen this year. Hope it works!
View attachment 2376649

Here's what one looks like installed
View attachment 2376650
I love the concept. What did you use to cover the frame? I use a clear shower curtain on the western side of my run. It stood up to the winds all last winter and they can see out.

Ned loves living on the wild side!!

20201017_145125.jpg

That little gray speck to the left of the green fence post is Ned. He's heading off to spend the afternoon in the woods.

I love the concept. What did you use to cover the frame? I use a clear shower curtain on the western side of my run. It stood up to the winds all last winter and they can see out.
We were hoping to get something clear like that, but we couldn't seem to find any around here so we just got some plastic sheeting used in construction. We are still on the lookout for something clear and the shower curtain is a great idea. 👍

Back
Top Bottom