Oh, no, Lozzy! I missed your post. How is she? Any other symptoms? Tegan might have just gotten poked, pecked or scratched. Forget Marek’s and Coccidiosis on this one. If there are no respiratory symptoms, it could just be an injury. Sterile saline was the right move. I’d give it a little bit and you could always use an antibiotic ointment if it looks infected. Right now, I’d wait and see. Is the eye wet at all? If it swells around they eye, you might need to gently squeeze pus (which is solid in chickens) out, but I don’t see the need for that yet.

I need some help please; Tegan’s right eye is half-closed and a bit swollen looking. I looked on the ER threads and they mentioned Mareks, Coccidiosis, MG and poor ventilation. I’ve only just noticed it and of course it’s raining today. I can bathe it with some warm saline solution tonight and check for bubbles. I’ve attached a photo, any advice would be gratefully received.

View attachment 2386232
I think i remember @Shadrach saying plain water is better than saline because of the ph level of chickens eyes. Maybe boil water to sterilise it then cool it down before using?

I think i remember @Shadrach saying plain water is better than saline because of the ph level of chickens eyes. Maybe boil water to sterilise it then cool it down before using?

Thanks MJ and Michelle, I can definitely boil some water and let it cool down to warm. I’ll get hubby to hold her whilst I have a good look.

Thanks MJ and Michelle, I can definitely boil some water and let it cool down to warm. I’ll get hubby to hold her whilst I have a good look.
It may just be an irritation - dust or straw or something, that got in her eye. Don't panic just yet. MJ is right. Plain water is what Shad advised when Alpia developed bubbles. If there are no respitary issues you are ahead.

She is looking mighty fine this morning! 🥰

How did you figure me out so quick? I don't understand. :confused:

How is Tsuki doing? Any eggs from her?
No, I think I've only seen one egg from her in the last six months. :( She seems fine in every other way though.

Its wet and cold here today. When I went to lock the girls up tonight there were the four of them all huddled up on the front perch together. Tsuki usually prefers the back perch, but the back perch was empty!

She had settled herself in her old coop. I told her it was too cold to roost by herself and tucked her under my arm. In she went with the others. When I left she was sulking on the coop floor. I hope she doesn't stay there and get pooped on by everyone! :sick

Today I visited my parents, who live an hour and a half away, so I have not had a chance to catch up on the thread. I will. But I’ve been outside with the chickens since I got home and have a few photos and videos to share. Bear with me!

Here are the babies visiting on my lap. I have called them “littlest babies” since they were wee little chicks. Sorry, I don’t think I can rotate the video properly.

Buttercup also had a visit. For some reason she’s molts twice every year. She’s still finishing up her second molt. But she still likes to cuddle.

Here is Minnie, my one and a half year old Buckeye. She’s like a mini Ruby versus a Minnie Pearl. LOL.

View attachment 2386040

Roxy visiting, despite her molt:
View attachment 2386044

Here is the whole flock (I think). The dirt patch in front of me is from a combination of gophers and the fact that those two blue lounge chairs used to sit there. The girls are pleased about it, but I’m looking forward to it turning green again in rainy season.
Your lap chickens are so adorable micstrachan! 🥰

I see that your dog is in the same position in the flock that mine are. Rock bottom! 🤣

I need some help please; Tegan’s right eye is half-closed and a bit swollen looking. I looked on the ER threads and they mentioned Mareks, Coccidiosis, MG and poor ventilation. I’ve only just noticed it and of course it’s raining today. I can bathe it with some warm saline solution tonight and check for bubbles. I’ve attached a photo, any advice would be gratefully received.

View attachment 2386232
Sorry I have no advice for you Lozzy but I hope she comes good for you. You can't go wrong with gentle bathing of the eye anyway.

Bob, here’s an old post of mine where I was asking for feedback on ventilation. It’s not a drawing, but you get the idea. The coop is a refurbished play structure. I don’t have a proper cover on the run, so I just buy a new tarp each year.

Sadly, they no longer have access to all the free ranging, since my neighbor doesn’t want my dog in his yard. Dorothy amd Eater still go over, however, as the flimsy poultry netting they just just right over. I may start letting them out in the full area once the babies are a bit bigger.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/video-please-critique-but-be-gentle.1294421/#post-21047368
That was better than a drawing. I have an excellent picture of your setup now. Very well done. Plenty of room for everyone. The ability to divide your run cannot be overrated. Thanks for sharing.

Me and that bird go back to the beginning. She was my first day old chick. (Sold to me as an Americana) I knew "literally" nothing about chickens before her. I named her Canna Canna. and bought her, because she showed interest in me. She has given me beautiful blue eggs for four years. (And hatched me 3 pullets and four cockerels in the past. (very cute) BLU's brother was the father RIP BLU #1
Here's mamma Canna.View attachment 2386204
Hi Canna Canna. :frow She is lovely. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom