I am in the process of putting hen saddles on them... I think it helps as long as it stays dry for the free rangers. I’m toying with the thought of sacrificing an old rain Jacket instead for the outer layer... that’s more suited to our usual fall/winter conditions!

There were a couple times during the day I looked out and was worried actually about them blowing away... for the most part everyone sheltered out of the worst of it, but then there would be a lull and they would start foraging again only to get hit with another Blast.

Luckily these storms aren’t terribly frequent, with maybe 7 or 8 big ones each year, usually in fall and spring. And the sudden intense cold that came with it is even less common. Nothing like your winters ⬇⬇⬇ so it’s more of a shock when it happens

Ouch... just No. Neither I, my cats, or my chickens approve of those temperatures. We are used to the cold coastal damp weather. So one bonus to the arctic blast that hit us was it dried out the trailer a bit. Our average winter temperatures are 5 degrees Celsius to -3 in especially cold snaps, and it’s almost never in the negatives for more than a week at a time! Brrrr, just the thought of -29 C made me turn the heater up a notch.

I had to remount the propane heater when I picked up a desk (trying to improve our storage situation) and it’s not as firmly mounted as I would like on the trailer wall, so I’ve been reluctant to leave it in when I’m not home.
My old boss is currently camping in a trailer in UT with his wife and 3 small children. He is from Alabama. It is snowing and 17°F (-8°C). The water pipes in the camper have frozen. I don't think he is as handy as you for sure. I have started to call their trip a "Donner Party" Vacation.

I'm sure nobody would mind if you just post and read what you can. I try and cover 4 threads and that's about my limit.
I would like to follow Kris's thread for example but I just couldn't contribute on a regular basis. Then of course there is how much time one wishes to spend in front of the computer. At the moment I have a bit more time than usual because I'm not doing much woodwork because I've got carpel tunnel syndrome back in my left hand. Going to get it fixed next month and if it's anything like last time I'll be good for another few years. I'm still doing a bit of woodwork but taking it very slow; probably good for me.:D
I am so sorry to hear about your carpel tunnel. Please take care of yourself until you can get it fixed. :hugs :hugs

The Little Princesses
I think Minnie is higher up the ladder and Dotty is below her. I think. As they grow up they are getting harder to tell apart. Only tiny differences in appearance. They have different characters. Minnie is more outgoing to people and will still jump on my back if I bend over to grab something from the floor. Dotty is bolder with the chickens and I think inclined to be bossy. But I love them both.
AEDA682E-69C6-48D7-AC07-76F9DD40C36C.jpeg

The Little Princesses
I think Minnie is higher up the ladder and Dotty is below her. I think. As they grow up they are getting harder to tell apart. Only tiny differences in appearance. They have different characters. Minnie is more outgoing to people and will still jump on my back if I bend over to grab something from the floor. Dotty is bolder with the chickens and I think inclined to be bossy. But I love them both.
View attachment 2388481
How is roosting going at your place these days?

How is roosting going at your place these days?
Here is everyone tucked up for the night tonight. The two Little Princesses are on the far left. That is a very peaceful arrangement as long as Maggie is in her favorite place squished up against the wall as she is now. If Maggie is next to the Little Princesses they get a few pecks in the head until everyone settles down.
Note the window is closed and nobody tries to go up there any more.
5DD839AC-ACFD-42AA-B47B-214EEC4CEFE2.jpeg

They are Kris and on the next mountain earlier this year, farmers did shoot a few dogs.
The thing is, nobody really wants to have to shoot someones pet. I certainly don't.
But, when you've seen a dog dragging down a ewe, or shaking some poor chicken you've watched hatched, nursed when sick, watched being a mum and who has survived all the wild predators here for seven years tolerance wears very thin.
It's just a shame that assaulting the owners isn't allowed.
I agree on the pity is the owners go unpunished. Here they can be fined but it comes down to the worth of the animal. A breeding ewe or Ram, cow or bull is worth more than a lamb or yearling cow. But when there’s an emotional attachment there, I understand all too well how much worse it is. :hugs Especially as dogs don’t kill cleanly either.:mad: I have finally got my cat to be efficient at mousing. If he tries to play with a live mouse it gets taken away. He has learned to dispatch them right away.

I like your thread. It is on my rotation. Consider this. Yours is always on the first page so it is as busy as most all threads on here.

As far as keeping up, some days are worse than others. There are a lot of active people here sharing about their chickens. That's good. If you ever feel like you are falling behind skip to where we are talking. You can always use the reference link to flip back to a previous post to catch up on something. This should not be a chore. It should be fun.
Definitely this. There is no obligation to read everything. :)

The Little Princesses
View attachment 2388481
They are quite lovely! 🥰

Back
Top Bottom