One Charlie egg. Lucy found it and had a little sit on it for a while. :love

B4B22728-D2C7-4551-9574-10A7B36ACD21.jpeg

Couldnā€™t you just shoot it like a deer? 9 days left in deer season here. I wonder if thereā€™s an Emu season? Sorry, but those things can be dangerous! Oh, hold on... I forgot, Australians have a somewhat skewed idea when it comes to ā€œdangerous wild animalsā€ :gig we have had that conversation a few times already, havenā€™t we? Someone here was raising Emus for meat, but it was way too difficult, and turned out her Husband is allergic to their meat as well! Apparently asking about wrangling them and slaughtering them is just not to be done... too much trauma.
I think it is best to leave the poor guy be. Let him live his life.

Shad... You just canā€™t fix stupid. Was your stock net bright orange like my snow fencing? ;)

Iā€™ve got a similar contribution; after the attempted roosting by our bull (who is a gentle mild mannered sweetie, which I have only seen make any pretense at aggression when he hears animals in distress or comes upon the remains of a missing herd-mate) we moved the cattle in preparation for weaning and to get them out of (essentially) my front yard. Well DH and I were not invited to help separate the calves. Aunt in Law took the oh so helpful cousin. Supposedly Gus charged her in the field on sight. She stopped him by coming at his fave with a big stick. It was an ā€œunprovoked attackā€ They are now worried because the adult cows are in BILā€™s area and ā€œI mean, like... what if he goes after BIL and kicks him?ā€œ apparently ā€œwho cares? point and laughā€ was not an appropriate response to this question. But it did get me a glance. The In-laws were playing the ā€˜I donā€™t see you, I canā€™t hear You, nah nahā€™ game until I said that. Bear in mind these are the same dangerous beasts that I have been in shoulder to shoulder with for a week. Nosing my window and mooing for hay. That I have been walking through with square bales from the barn to a clear place to feed while Gus is excitedly trying to nibble the bale Iā€™m carrying. Apparently my ā€œsafetyā€ was never of any concern though.

I would also point out the Black Cowboy Hat example Temple Grandin frequently uses about negative associations animals make and behavior, and maybe add in that these are the same people who prefer to herd by driving, hitting with sticks, spooking, and setting the dogs to harass (they arenā€™t trained to cattle, barely to sheep, and have nipping tendencies). Cows are far more intelligent than people credit. I think Gus has decided certain individuals are a threat. SMH
Someday Gus will get your revenge for you. It will be served cold. [Cue evil laugh]

And Iā€™ve mostly caught up... I believe I missed a few pages maybe on Saturday and early Sunday... but wow, over 40 pages behind... I havenā€™t been that far back since I got back online regularly again. Iā€™ve been gone since Saturday because it was a very rough day here. Things didnā€™t go well in communicating with the in-laws, and I was honestly ready to pack it all in and leave between 3-6am on Sunday morning. After the stressful day, I found out through Facebook that a dear friend from work I had fallen out of touch with died. I did not take that well. I am fairly certain that Covid was partially to blame (social restrictions, and the psychological affects of this virus are hitting hard on many of my old friends). Although it wasnā€™t announced, everyone Iā€™ve spoken with who also knew him, agrees it was most likely a Drug OverDose, probably not a suicide. Sunday was a write off. I didnā€™t even do the chickens... DH took care of it all for me. Monday was better, and we got some work done around the trailer. yesterday was jam packed with Chores and DHā€™s birthday dinner (47, a roasted chicken, donā€™t tell the girls) exchanging vehicles at the Garage, and getting the Sawmill ready to transport for repairs.

Chicken Tax photos will come eventually, they currently are all hiding from the windstorm, I just heard some more trees or large limbs come down, and I need to head out to fix my tarps again (3x today so far)... but here is how not to fix a portable sawmill (anyone remember the haystring tractor repair I shared a couple Two hay seasons ago?)View attachment 2434379
And my truck... now with brakes, but still some more brake repairs to go (one more rotor and caliper, and all the brake lines to go). Hey, she is stopping, itā€™s a win! And a flashy, new to me, only slightly cracked, high end fiberglass canopy... for dry feed transportation, a sure way to prevent precipitation for the near future!View attachment 2434380
I'm so glad the truck is working again. Woohoo!

I have to do something about Beethoven-Hen. Sheā€™s still picking on the others. And itā€™s worse, when I attempt to pet any of the other hens. (She doesnā€™t care about the roosters) ā€œNo peace in our timeā€:idunno
Maybe separate her in a dog crate for a few days, and then re-introduce her back into the flock?

And Iā€™ve mostly caught up... I believe I missed a few pages maybe on Saturday and early Sunday... but wow, over 40 pages behind... I havenā€™t been that far back since I got back online regularly again. Iā€™ve been gone since Saturday because it was a very rough day here. Things didnā€™t go well in communicating with the in-laws, and I was honestly ready to pack it all in and leave between 3-6am on Sunday morning. After the stressful day, I found out through Facebook that a dear friend from work I had fallen out of touch with died. I did not take that well. I am fairly certain that Covid was partially to blame (social restrictions, and the psychological affects of this virus are hitting hard on many of my old friends). Although it wasnā€™t announced, everyone Iā€™ve spoken with who also knew him, agrees it was most likely a Drug OverDose, probably not a suicide. Sunday was a write off. I didnā€™t even do the chickens... DH took care of it all for me. Monday was better, and we got some work done around the trailer. yesterday was jam packed with Chores and DHā€™s birthday dinner (47, a roasted chicken, donā€™t tell the girls) exchanging vehicles at the Garage, and getting the Sawmill ready to transport for repairs.

Chicken Tax photos will come eventually, they currently are all hiding from the windstorm, I just heard some more trees or large limbs come down, and I need to head out to fix my tarps again (3x today so far)... but here is how not to fix a portable sawmill (anyone remember the haystring tractor repair I shared a couple Two hay seasons ago?)View attachment 2434379
And my truck... now with brakes, but still some more brake repairs to go (one more rotor and caliper, and all the brake lines to go). Hey, she is stopping, itā€™s a win! And a flashy, new to me, only slightly cracked, high end fiberglass canopy... for dry feed transportation, a sure way to prevent precipitation for the near future!View attachment 2434380
Kris, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I can't imagine how painful it must be to find out that way as well. :hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom