First of all, I plead not-guilty on enticing a Goat enabler - I had no idea! BUT, that said, my mind immediately went to pointing out exactly what you said that Arduinna would have a playmate and could move out to the barn. I am also questioning the potty training description as by my count you have lost your pillow, DH's jacket and at least one other item of clothing to goat pee-pee pads!
Also, 2 goats are more than twice as adorable as one goat because they play together.
So, I am strongly in the camp of you getting another goat, and moving them into a lovely goat barn (I believe goats and chickens get on fine together so they could even move into the trailer).
And now I will shut up and look for my chicken tax.
:oops:
Really it’s mostly rags we are using in her litter box... and it was the BIL jacket I was training her to pee on, on purpose :oops:. I am seriously considering another goat or two, or moving the bell weather sheep my mother adopted into a small sheep/goat shed in our yard with her once the house is built. I may be also be staking claim to everything from the Mud gate to the first Timber Knoll fence around our house. It’s the worst area for forage and pasture on the farm, and if I decide to fight for it I don’t think there will be too much resistance. It would solve a few problems, the wandering nature of the Sheep in question (he’s an escape artist) and the “we should just send that fat useless sheep to slaughter” leverage... now to see if I have enough chicken pics for the taxes to cover that little rant!

Here are some attempts at FBFriday photos
B159DB6F-DAC9-4DBA-8E8C-8BF7FC85CB70.jpeg
E8BCE939-73DB-4E61-9F40-61EFB2EB0E16.jpeg

Little Red “What exactly are you trying to do back there? Are you making fun of my tail, human?”
And a giant BBB:
DB0D2E83-CD8C-4698-810B-75601B1BF1BB.jpeg

and I got a Fluffy Butt, and a half; Still almost 15 minutes of Friday left here... I better post quickly!
C1B0E110-6D2A-4334-AB38-780A4D261448.jpeg

I've seen them at the zoo. That's a hard pass.
Bob, I am so sorry that Arduinna and I have provoked this disturbing “let’s try to get Bob to start a Zoo” trend :oops: I do not advocate or recommend adopting Goats, Llamas, Alpacas, Emus, or Sheep, especially the Sheep. Cows on the other hand... maybe, but be careful as they can develop a taste for chicken feed (Gus:hmm)

Sucker Peck

The following is super disturbing. I need to stop watching roosting. Do not watch unless you want to see quite possibly the meanest nastiest thing I have seen a chicken do to another chicken.

I really believe it was so she could sleep there tonight. Hattie didn't even want to be near her after that.
View attachment 2499350

I mentioned today that I thought the tribe was getting along well. Now I wonder. 😟
That’s just downright mean...

I lost my darling Daisy, the greatest hen ever, to complications from salpingitis. The rapid egg laying is a death sentence for most of them as so many things go wrong. It is crushing when you know there is nothing you can do to fix what's wrong with them. You have my deepest sympathies. :hugs :hugs

My Lilly has pretty much stopped laying and I'm thrilled. I hope she is with us for years to come.
View attachment 2499545
Bob, does Lilly’s comb stay bright red even though she has stopped laying? Or is it a bit more pale? In this photo it looks pretty red.

Yes - and if I am not there they will become treats for the foxes who hang out in the meadow. For now I am just being super careful, but I think I might need to more actively train the Princesses to come when called or something like that. I am reasonably confident Maggie will always come for an ear of fresh corn. Not sure about the others.
Be consistent and keep using the same call and tasty rewards every time. Start close up and gradually increase the distance, eventually they will all flock whenever you call them, at least close enough to to hopefully deter a predator, or get them back to the safety of their run. I can’t leave my trailer without getting mobbed by the free range flock. (I’m referring to the majority of the greater group of 4 Roosters and 43 hens/pullets here, which consists of 3 distinct “tribes” of hens, and a whole whack of floaters, and a “developing tribe” as Little Red is trying to cement his place in a few girls hearts, through their stomachs, but he isn’t even as adept as Cass yet). They even rush our trucks (just ours, no interest in other random vehicles).

Really it’s mostly rags we are using in her litter box... and it was the BIL jacket I was training her to pee on, on purpose :oops:. I am seriously considering another goat or two, or moving the bell weather sheep my mother adopted into a small sheep/goat shed in our yard with her once the house is built. I may be also be staking claim to everything from the Mud gate to the first Timber Knoll fence around our house. It’s the worst area for forage and pasture on the farm, and if I decide to fight for it I don’t think there will be too much resistance. It would solve a few problems, the wandering nature of the Sheep in question (he’s an escape artist) and the “we should just send that fat useless sheep to slaughter” leverage... now to see if I have enough chicken pics for the taxes to cover that little rant!

Here are some attempts at FBFriday photosView attachment 2499697View attachment 2499699
Little Red “What exactly are you trying to do back there? Are you making fun of my tail, human?”
And a giant BBB:
View attachment 2499702
and I got a Fluffy Butt, and a half; Still almost 15 minutes of Friday left here... I better post quickly!
View attachment 2499704
Oh BIL owns the pee jacket. I missed that. Makes sense! :lau

Be consistent and keep using the same call and tasty rewards every time. Start close up and gradually increase the distance, eventually they will all flock whenever you call them, at least close enough to to hopefully deter a predator, or get them back to the safety of their run. I can’t leave my trailer without getting mobbed by the free range flock. (I’m referring to the majority of the greater group of 4 Roosters and 43 hens/pullets here, which consists of 3 distinct “tribes” of hens, and a whole whack of floaters, and a “developing tribe” as Little Red is trying to cement his place in a few girls hearts, through their stomachs, but he isn’t even as adept as Cass yet). They even rush our trucks (just ours, no interest in other random vehicles).
Yes. I really need to do that. They mob me in the Chicken Palace so much so I am terrified I will step on someone. It is out in the meadow I am nervous about. I will start with a consistent call in the Palace. I used to do that but I got lazy and just pass the time of day and gossip with them.

Wow - that is a lot of drama! How is Roostie's foot/leg doing?
An Update and I will be looking for some opinions on it tomorrow... need some better pics than what I got today. Not doing as well as I had hoped for, but definitely a bit better.
Rooster posing and a real hen fight!

I loved it when hen #1 ran under hen #2 as #2 jumped in the air trying to land on #1. Great move #1!
Not too shabby for a meat girl! Diet and exercise... I suppose she would be in the heavyweight category, going up against a feisty welterweight. Sammy and Roostie were at this “posing” on and off for most of the day, and yes, it’s mostly for show! They could easily actually fight if they were inclined, as that “fence” is only a suggested separation at this point! They can go under, over, or around it with ease, and they do, multiple times each day. What really astounds me is the absolute stillness between the two hens, between this tussle and the first Round I missed getting on video (which was quite similar in action).

No hens were harmed in this, I would have interceded it if got serious, and yes, Sammy managed to Nick a wattle again at some point, well before this standoff (He’s also perfectly fine, but the bleeding certainly makes him look like a bloody mess on the pristine white feathers). I moved everyone apart some and distracted them with scratch, and returned Roostie’s GF to her proper side of the “fence” though it didn’t last too long!

Back
Top Bottom