Yes. I am in shock and not sure how to think about it.
I actually think she may have laid one earlier in the week because I had 3 brown eggs on Tuesday but I assumed I must have made a mistake because I only noted one brown egg on Monday so I assumed it was just a Monday egg I didn't notice.
But this morning I was woken by the sound of foxes yelling outside (they make quite a racket) and I checked the coop cam and was in a panic that there were only 4 on the roost. And it was Maggie who was missing. I naturally feared the worst but checked the other camera and there she was in a nest box. So when she came out I went out and there was an egg.
Of course if she is just 'back to normal' I will be ecstatic - but I do worry after the lash eggs that this is the beginning of the end.
This is actually great news! It means that her reproductive track is clear. Usually the salpingitis results in scarring that blocks the reproductive tract and it is her body trying to pass eggs down a blocked tract that is fatal. It was this egg laying that resulted in the bloated abdomen and passing of Daisy, the greatest hen ever. She just would not stop trying to lay.

This is outstanding! She is likely OK. I would suggest to you that the opposite is true. This is not the beginning of the end at all but rather you may have plenty of time left with her!
:wee :wee :wee

This is actually great news! It means that her reproductive track is clear. Usually the salpingitis results in scarring that blocks the reproductive tract and it is her body trying to pass eggs down a blocked tract that is fatal. It was this egg laying that resulted in the bloated abdomen and passing of Daisy, the greatest hen ever. She just would not stop trying to lay.

This is outstanding! She is likely OK. I would suggest to you that the opposite is true. This is not the beginning of the end at all but rather you may have plenty of time left with her!
:wee :wee :wee
Oh I do so hope you are right! :fl
I have read up everything I can on salpingitis and lash eggs and the outlook is always very grim. I found a couple of random anecdotes from people whose hens have survived but anything remotely credible says that mostly they die before 6 months are past.
I literally couldn't find anything about a hen starting to lay again.
I am going to watch very closely and count eggs just to be 200% sure it is her. The other two are not laying every day so I have to watch and count over a period of days. But today was pretty clear.
One thing is for sure, she definitely has her mojo back. She has always been a very opinionated chicken and for the last week or so she has been sharing her perspectives with me quite assertively which warms my heart.

Oh I do so hope you are right! :fl
I have read up everything I can on salpingitis and lash eggs and the outlook is always very grim. I found a couple of random anecdotes from people whose hens have survived but anything remotely credible says that mostly they die before 6 months are past.
I literally couldn't find anything about a hen starting to lay again.
I am going to watch very closely and count eggs just to be 200% sure it is her. The other two are not laying every day so I have to watch and count over a period of days. But today was pretty clear.
One thing is for sure, she definitely has her mojo back. She has always been a very opinionated chicken and for the last week or so she has been sharing her perspectives with me quite assertively which warms my heart.
I really hope it is so. That would just be the best news ever. :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom