Nocturnal chicken.
The general view seems to be that chickens are blind in the dark, or much like us and other daytime operators they see but with reduced acuity and more in grey scale. The latter seems more probable to me.
Then we have Dotty. She was up at 5:25 this morning (for reference to my eyes it is just getting light now at 6:55am and sunrise is officially 7:12am). For sure at 5:25 it was pitch black and cloudy so not much in the way of moonlight. I think she went to lay an egg (I will check later when it is actually light :lau), but she also pecked around a bit and climbed up on a platform to more easily scoff her little face from the food container. Throughout this she didn't show any signs of impaired vision at all.
I am curious how she got down from the roost where she was sandwiched in by the other Princesses. Unfortunately I had the roost camera off so I didn't see what she did, but normally she flies down. I hope she wouldn't do that if she couldn't see at all.
Sorry no pics/video - I have plenty but they are of a gray and white chicken in gray and white night vision camera so kind of dull viewing.
@BY Bob, from memory you have a night-snacker (I think it must be Hattie?), does she seem to be able to see her way around? I am wondering if a rethink of chicken night vision is needed. Just because you sleep at night doesn't mean you are blind at night!

So glad that Roostie is making forward progress. 🥰

If/when you need to operate to remove the solid matter, will you be able to film it? Maybe when Andrew is available to be camera person and operation assistant. I think it would be very educational.
If it comes to that I would love to see it as well. We could all learn.

Nocturnal chicken.
The general view seems to be that chickens are blind in the dark, or much like us and other daytime operators they see but with reduced acuity and more in grey scale. The latter seems more probable to me.
Then we have Dotty. She was up at 5:25 this morning (for reference to my eyes it is just getting light now at 6:55am and sunrise is officially 7:12am). For sure at 5:25 it was pitch black and cloudy so not much in the way of moonlight. I think she went to lay an egg (I will check later when it is actually light :lau), but she also pecked around a bit and climbed up on a platform to more easily scoff her little face from the food container. Throughout this she didn't show any signs of impaired vision at all.
I am curious how she got down from the roost where she was sandwiched in by the other Princesses. Unfortunately I had the roost camera off so I didn't see what she did, but normally she flies down. I hope she wouldn't do that if she couldn't see at all.
Sorry no pics/video - I have plenty but they are of a gray and white chicken in gray and white night vision camera so kind of dull viewing.
@BY Bob, from memory you have a night-snacker (I think it must be Hattie?), does she seem to be able to see her way around? I am wondering if a rethink of chicken night vision is needed. Just because you sleep at night doesn't mean you are blind at night!
Yes, Hattie will get off of the roost, walk to the food and water, eat and drink and then lay down to sleep next to them. At that time I thought they were essentially sight less at night. That is just not so. They can see but there are limits.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-23378892

So glad that Roostie is making forward progress. 🥰

If/when you need to operate to remove the solid matter, will you be able to film it? Maybe when Andrew is available to be camera person and operation assistant. I think it would be very educational.
If it comes to that I would love to see it as well. We could all learn.
I don’t know that a video is possible, but I will take as many pictures as I can. When I have to do something like this I usually get so focused on what’s happening and am using both my hands so I’m not able to get much. I have already discussed with Andrew that I will be needing his help to restrain Roostie for it. I don’t want him moving around. DH doesn’t do well with these things. Mostly because of his own medical history. Current thoughts are vet wrapping his wings to his body chicken burrito style. Wrapping him well, and as for stopping the kicking? I’m not sure how we will accomplish that. I plan on using the extra hands to support and hold Roostie. Plus he sucks, with my phone camera.

Back
Top Bottom