It worked really well, it was cushiony and grabby and washed off easily. I removed the old one when I saw the edges were starting to get shredded.

I'm not sure I would use the exact same thing for adult birds. Two things to keep in mind here - 1) It had been outside, as a perch / walkway in front of their coop pop door, for some months and was likely degrading in the UV light, so it was more shreddable, and 2) Adult birds are way stronger than chicks and pullets and can really grab and pull hard.

I might put new material on the bigger 2x4 rounded board I have there now, but they don't spend all night on it so I am not highly motivated. They actually roost on the coop's roost bars component. It is a removeable platform of small bars set close together. I'd have to measure but they are maybe 1.5 inches wide with maybe 1.0 inch between them.

View attachment 2551975
I have observed they put their feet on them in different ways, often standing on two bars with a toe or two spanning them, so their foot base probably gets a varied position. So far no bumblefoot from it but it has been less than a year.

I recall liking your towels method but does it require removing and cleaning a lot? For a single roost bar (maybe for the log perch in the run) I would definitely consider new rubber gripper material and keep an eye on it and watch for any shredding action. Dried poo just flakes off it and it is easy to wash. A small rubber sink mat with holes might work well too (and be easily washable).
I've missed what this is, can you link me back please, it looks really interesting :)

The farmers are still out after dark, spraying insecticides in the fields near by. The almond orchards, are their primary mainstay. ( no wonder my animals, have had, and have died of respiratory problems in the past. Even my nose is plugged up at the moment. (And there is nothing I can do about it) :th
Thats awful. Could you ask the farmers to let you know when they are going to spray in advance so you could bring your chickens indoors while its going on?

Update on Jaffar's condition: The gurgling in his throat, has worsened. I fear for his life. I have given him antibiotics, which helped last time. but I fear I am going to lose him.
He's such a good rooster, and my heart sinks even thinking of not having him around.
(He's one rooster, that does everything right) and He's my buddy! Calling the Veterinarian today, to at least give me some hope.:fl

Back
Top Bottom