If she really wanted to hatch she could use others eggs. Of course who wants to be a mother hen at 10 years old. Those chicks would definitely wear her out fast! :gig

As you know, Lilly does the same thing. I find it fascinating. What are they thing when they do this?
I think they are thinking they want to sit on some eggs. As in, yes, that feels right. If their lives are like ours, it's not necessarily rational at all :rolleyes:

Maybe similar things happen like in our own aging processes, there could be hormone changes, where a previously antagonistic hormone to the broody urge hormone (or set of chemicals that induce broodiness) wanes away, but the other doesn't, or doesn't as much, making the broody one a bit of a stronger drive.

Guessing that things change balance when as younger hens they stop laying and instead brood eggs, so when the usual cycle of egg laying stops due to age, there's some similarity to what happens when one goes broody?

I haven't read very far yet in my chicken books :oops: . Got turned off on one when it said to hang a chicken upside down to clear it's crop but I am forging ahead.

How long!!

I found this photo from Eve's visit. Some folks here were speculating about who was longer, her or Davis. At one point during the visit, Davis was rolling on his back on the floor and Eve got down to imitate him.........

20210410_202231.jpg

Another question... I have moved the babies out to their section in the big coop/run... they are covered and I have blocked three sides where they sleep but they are basically outside... they have slept in there the last three nights and it’s been about 60 degrees but of course we are getting a cool front and it’ll be getting into the high 40s some nights and 50s some nights... they turned five weeks on Wednesday... do yall think they’ll be okay in the cooler temps?

Remember the egg I showed yall with the weird calcium deposits? Well I keep getting them... the shells are soft to crack but have a very strong skin... I wonder if I need to switch feed to a layer feed with more calcium... they always have oyster shell available but apparently some are not eating it... View attachment 2620301
Some of my girls do this ~ mostly my older hens. Shells are fine, I just get this calcium spotting.

If it's sold as a dog wormer, would it be labelled with withholding periods?
The Vet would say if there was a holding period. I have just discovered she is listed as an avian vet!!! :thNo idea how I missed that one but I was looking for something else & she showed up. How lucky am I?

Back
Top Bottom