I've been busier than normal the past few days and consequently haven't got more than a couple of hours chicken time in each day. They've been round but when they see I'm doing stuff they tend to wander back out again, manly because the chances of getting treats is low I imagine.
I noticed that Knock was missing or late for lunch which of course means she's egg laying somewhere. I checked all the usual places and she was nowhere to be seen.
A couple of days ago she was showing signs of getting ready to go broody. I still had no idea where her nest was.Yesterday evening she did apperar for supper but it was obvious that she was thinking of heading back to her nest. I managed to hustle her into the coop with some relief. That left me this morning to follow her and locate the nest. That can be quite a challenge here.
I let Tribe 3, her tribe out later than usual so I had clear time to try to follow her.
They ate breakfast by the bamboo clump, I see Knock go into the bamboo clump and she's gone! I'm prettu sure she hasn't dropped out of sight on the track and head right and I couldn't see her making her way to anywhere that looked likely going left.
I had a good search in the bamboo as much as one can in such clumps; not a sign.
I walked all the way around the back and climbed the bank which is very overgrown hoping I might see her. I was really lucky and did spot her under some overgrowing grass. I took pictures. I even went back mid afternoon just to confirm I had the right spot in my mind.
You can just make her out under the dry grass clump.
View attachment 2625385
Step back a bit and she gone.
View attachment 2625386

After I had put everyone to bed I went to get her. It wasn't even dark yet and spent 15 minutes search the two square metre patch I knew she was in. I couldn't find her. I had a cup of tea ans went and had another go. I did get her this time but I must have touched her at least once in the first search and she hadn't moved or nade a sound
She's in the coop with the others now and I'll collect the eggs in the morning.
Brilliant camouflage!

Big assumption but accurate. It is bacteria from the colon that causes salpingitis.
OK I'm on board with traveling E. Coli but I don't see yet how poopy feathers back near the vent is going to cause bacteria getting into the uterus/oviduct. Isn't there some E. Coli inside the hen already? That may be my first error in thinking about this. Is there not? If not, then a colony of E.Coli in a bunch of poopy feathers or stuck bits outside the vent could be a problem? It could send out little armies of bacteria to explore and some go back up in there? They travel fast, in between poops coming the other way?

If there's poop that is causing an adult pasty butt situation and things can't move along well and there's a backup, maybe a little bit of poop takes a turn and goes in the opening to the uterus, I'm thinking appendix analogy here? And if eggs can go backwards they could bring stuff back in further?

If we clean the feathers and vent area religiously can we prevent salpingitis?

I was watching Diana from across the yard this afternoon.
She is rather a streamlined little hen and has a skinny butt. Not fluffy at all.
I think she is healthy - it is just the way she is.

71CAA2AF-A224-458B-969E-5AF2AF41962B.jpeg
E736314C-5142-4851-9AEF-17EA31A8581C.jpeg
6A228137-0A2F-4DD7-9759-52BF14818F8D.jpeg

OK I'm on board with traveling E. Coli but I don't see yet how poopy feathers back near the vent is going to cause bacteria getting into the uterus/oviduct. Isn't there some E. Coli inside the hen already? That may be my first error in thinking about this. Is there not? If not, then a colony of E.Coli in a bunch of poopy feathers or stuck bits outside the vent could be a problem? It could send out little armies of bacteria to explore and some go back up in there? They travel fast, in between poops coming the other way?

If there's poop that is causing an adult pasty butt situation and things can't move along well and there's a backup, maybe a little bit of poop takes a turn and goes in the opening to the uterus, I'm thinking appendix analogy here? And if eggs can go backwards they could bring stuff back in further?

If we clean the feathers and vent area religiously can we prevent salpingitis?
It has nothing to do with poopy feathers. The e coli lives in the colon already. In general it is associated over laying. The fallopian tubes are so constantly at work they get irritated and this allows the colon bacteria to migrate up the tubes and cause an infection.

Back
Top Bottom