Hi Everyone. It's been a while since I posted here, but I've been following along silently & have kept up to date. April was a tough month for me. I had experienced dealing with a sick rooster for the first time. It was a rollercoaster ride of emotions - some days I thought he was getting better and other days he got worse. It seemed like the medication prescribed helped him some, but I caught it too late and my sweet Roo passed away on April 27th. I think he knew his time was coming to an end. Roo was a very sweet rooster, but he wasn't the type who enjoyed being pet or handled, but on my last day with him, he stayed by my side and let me pet him. I think that was his way of saying goodbye to me 😢 It's been over a week and the pain is still very fresh.

I know I don't comment often, but I always try to "like" everyone's posts here. I wanted to let you all know that this reading thread has helped me get through the rough times when I was feeling down about Roo. I enjoy reading about peoples flocks and seeing photos of everyone chickens 💕

My sweet Roo
View attachment 2653545
So sorry to hear Cfonts. :hugs They have a way of worming into your affections.

I really like the deep cross over.
Thanks! I was a bit worried water would just run down the neck and underneath, but it doesn't seem to be doing that. Once it stops raining though, I think I'll put a bit of silicone over the stitching. There's silicone on the main hems underneath but there are a few seams where the water is seeping in, a bit of silicone should fix that.

Hi Everyone. It's been a while since I posted here, but I've been following along silently & have kept up to date. April was a tough month for me. I had experienced dealing with a sick rooster for the first time. It was a rollercoaster ride of emotions - some days I thought he was getting better and other days he got worse. It seemed like the medication prescribed helped him some, but I caught it too late and my sweet Roo passed away on April 27th. I think he knew his time was coming to an end. Roo was a very sweet rooster, but he wasn't the type who enjoyed being pet or handled, but on my last day with him, he stayed by my side and let me pet him. I think that was his way of saying goodbye to me 😢 It's been over a week and the pain is still very fresh.

I know I don't comment often, but I always try to "like" everyone's posts here. I wanted to let you all know that this reading thread has helped me get through the rough times when I was feeling down about Roo. I enjoy reading about peoples flocks and seeing photos of everyone chickens 💕

My sweet Roo
View attachment 2653545
Awww... Roo was so beautiful. I’m very sorry for your loss.

My sweet Roo
View attachment 2653545
He was handsome. Do you know what he died of?
Sick chickens are just heartbreaking.:hugs

It's been a full on day here. There's been so much that had to be done, my plants were in need of being rescued and I am far from being a good gardener but with the help of a dear friend we managed to save most of them, though a few surviving remains to be seen.

So good night my friends. I hope to see you tomorrow. :)
What’s wrong with your plants? My latest transplants are NOT impressed that we went from unseasonably cool to unseasonably hot in a week! Seriously... a 60°F swing from coldest to hottest in a matter of days and we had another 40-45° differential from yesterday’s high to last night’s low. I’m not sure, yet, if mine are salvageable.

I am so overwhelmed by everyones kind words regarding the passing of Roo. I wanted you to all know that reading through each and every one of your replies meant a lot to me and it was nice to be able to talk about Roo with other chicken lovers.
@featherhead007 @Marie2020 @Ribh @BY Bob @Scrambles83 @RoyalChick @LaFemmeKatia @ChicoryBlue @LozzyR @micstrachan @Shadrach

He was very handsome and obviously loved dearly. Do you have other chickens?

I once had a cockatiel, he was a rescue and not at all sociable. He became very loving at the end. That brought me great comfort because he felt loved and showed me he felt this.
You asked if I had other chickens, I don't have a traditional flock. My flock all started with a feral hen (Chickadee) that adopted me last May and decided to move into my backyard permanently with her baby chicks. Roo was one of her baby chicks, so I basically watched him grow up. Eventually other neighborhood chickens joined Chickadee and moved into my backyard as well. My chickens are free ranging and roost in the trees in my backyard. They may be feral chickens, but I do consider them my pets and I love them dearly. This was my first time dealing with the loss of a chicken and I never would've guessed a year ago that losing a wild chicken could hurt so much, but these chickens sure have a way of worming their way into our hearts 😢

He was handsome. Do you know what he died of?
Sick chickens are just heartbreaking.:hugs
The vet believed that Roo had cocci, so we were treating him for that. You'd think that living on an island full of wild chickens that we'd have a lot of vets that treats chickens, but that was not the case. There was only one vet on island that had any experience treating chickens and I'm glad that I found her. I did see some improvements when I started giving Roo medicine, but I think I may have caught it too late because he never did get back to normal and eventually he got worse and passed away before I could bring him to the vet again 😢

Way-Back Machine?

Mr. Peabody us the way-back machine ready for another trip yet?

Really?

How bad is it?

Is it the number of jumps or how far back?

What about a short trip to just test it out? Just one jump. Would that be safe?

How much risk?

That feels pretty safe to me. Just be sure to bring tools and supplies in case we need a repair.

OK, I say we test it. How about 5 years ago?

Mr Peabody, set the way-back machine for May 6, 2016.

chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump, chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump, chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump

Well that wasn't so bad. What is happening on this day?

I poured rain all day and the ladies were out in it. Then the temperature was supposed to drop close to freezing that night. I could not let soaking at hens out in that temperature. So I brought them in and dried them off.

View attachment 2652689View attachment 2652690View attachment 2652691

My 17 lb cat, Dr. Zoidberg, was interested in Daisy, the greatest hen ever. He got too close for Daisy's liking and she let him know it by pecking him between the eyes. It was like a hammer hitting a coconut. Dr. Z never came close to the chickens again.

Dr. Zoidberg.
View attachment 2652704

Dr. Z's pain did not stop Davis from checking things out. He and Patsy had this moment. Patsy was definitely more tolerant than Daisy was. No pecking was involved.
View attachment 2652692

What was that?

We've been here to long?

Sorry everyone, time to go back. Take us home Mr. Peabody.

chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump, chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump, chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump

Whew, we are back successfully. Thanks Mr. Peabody. Keep working on the way-back. We may want to take a longer trip next time.
Thank you, Mr. Peabody!

Back
Top Bottom