Update... doctor checked my blood pressure and I brought with me (my test blood pressure cuff) mine was inaccurate up to 30 too high. So I still have higher blood pressure, but not as dangerous as I thought.
Had I not gone to the doctor, I would have never known this. :thAlso he put me on different medication. I will still keep you all posted.
Well that is good!

Mark the vet said medicated feed has safe levels of coccidia in it, so if you give chicks amprolium/corid at the same time, the amprolium/corid kills off the safe coccidia in the medicated feed.

So, yes, one or the other.

Maybe corid first, then medicated feed.
I don’t have any experience with medicated feed, and haven’t really looked into it, as it’s not available here unless you have an industrial poultry barn, basically. But that would make sense as to why it’s an “either or” situation. If they are coming in with heavy Coccidia loads though I would just do a full on treatment cycle on arrival, then proceed as normal. If they arrive with Coccidiosis I don’t see how adding more Coccidia in using the medicated feed would help much, even if a “safer” strain.

Little miss Squirrel is really turning into a lovely pullet. But then how could she not considering who her parents are. Now that she's been away from momma hen for a while now I also see her parents personalities coming out. It only took me a week to tame her and now she is my buddy. She is always underfoot when out doing chores and hops up to sit on laps when you take a break. I really lucked out and got the best of both Drummie and Butter in this girl.
View attachment 2720011View attachment 2720012View attachment 2720013View attachment 2720014View attachment 2720015View attachment 2720016View attachment 2720017
She’s beautiful! How wonderful that her personality matches. ❤️

I cannot wait to introduce my ladies! They are quite the celebrities amongst my friends and coworkers.
I have a barred rock, 2 prairie bluebell eggers and 2 starlight green eggers in my original flock. I sadly lost one of my barred rocks a few months ago. A total shock. She was absolutely fine and I came home from work to her dead in the coop. It appears it was some sort of sudden death thing. We were pretty devastated. I will say that my significant other, who was dead set against chickens in the first place, took it the hardest. He ha became quite the ultimate chicken tender! :D

My littles are 1 blue rock, 1 GL wynodette, 1 lavendar orpington, 1 barnevelder, and 3 easter egger's.
I belong to a few facebook groups and it seems like the DNA testing is quite popular.
Yes!! it is very close to Malone, I am about 7 miles from Malone. I live on 11B which brings me right into Potsdam. We do have real winters and I hate it, even more so now that i miss spending my evenings with my flock. Plan on relocating in a few years when my youngest graduates.
Welcome to you and your ladies!

I don’t want to worry any of you, but I have been down and out lately. Much stress, has caused my (Usually high) blood pressure to spike to 198 over 99. It’s been tough on me. That is the reason for my insomnia. I’m going to the doctor today (I won’t be driving) medical transport is picking me up.
chicken tax
View attachment 2719542
I did get vibes from you lately that you are stressed out. I am glad you are seeing the doctor. You can’t walk around AND you can’t fly around with blood pressure up like that. Besides treating the blood pressure, talk to him about a mild anti-anxiety med. Something to take the edge off.
You have lost two people recently, plus other stressors on your mind. Sometimes we need a break.
🙏🙏🙏

Especially with a history of receiving chicks with Coccidiosis from a certain source. The Corrid or Amprolium basically works by starving out the organisms by making (I think) a B vitamin unavailable to them. If you run a course of the liquid medication, or feed medicated feed (it’s an either or choice from what I understand) it should eliminate the problem before it happens, kind of like a vaccine (it is safe to use that word here right? Don’t ask… local Facebook forum again…) after a full course of treatment I believe it is recommended to provide a vitamin supplement as well.
I have heard this recommendation before, as well.

It still bothers me, especially when there’s no clear evidence as to what happened. It helps he was destined for the freezer anyway, so I already had a level of detachment. Nothing, no feathers, no signs of a struggle, just gone. I am also quite close to turning the whole lot of meaties out and free ranging them in the border of the woods, so I’m having some second thoughts on that now
Maybe he heard about your plans to deep-freeze him and he ran away from home!
(j/k) :gig:lau

Little miss Squirrel is really turning into a lovely pullet. But then how could she not considering who her parents are. Now that she's been away from momma hen for a while now I also see her parents personalities coming out. It only took me a week to tame her and now she is my buddy. She is always underfoot when out doing chores and hops up to sit on laps when you take a break. I really lucked out and got the best of both Drummie and Butter in this girl.
View attachment 2720011View attachment 2720012View attachment 2720013View attachment 2720014View attachment 2720015View attachment 2720016View attachment 2720017
She is very pretty! Her coloring is amazing!

Turning Whiter

I spend a lot of time observing the ladies and how Phyllis white feathers appear on her head continues to intrigue me. I have come to the conclusion that somehow the pigment leaves the black feather and thus it turns white. There are always what appear to be new feathers with white in them popping up.

I showed everyone earlier the new white feather Phyllis has on her wing. Now there is a white spot appearing on her tail! Check it out! And while you are looking check out the new white tips on her head feathers too!

View attachment 2720252
It looks like Phyllis got highlights put in!

Update... doctor checked my blood pressure and I brought with me (my test blood pressure cuff) mine was inaccurate up to 30 too high. So I still have higher blood pressure, but not as dangerous as I thought.
Had I not gone to the doctor, I would have never known this. :thAlso he put me on different medication. I will still keep you all posted.
That's great news!

Back
Top Bottom